First Mowing

notesApril 15, 2014

Established KBG. Eastern Iowa. Grass is waking up. First mowing: Fairly low? Bag or mulch? Leave it alone for awhile? I keep it @ 3+" & mulch it during the summer. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

Mowing at 2 1/2 inches or slightly lower in the Spring can help with KB spreading and fill-in. Unless you have signs of disease (snow mold etc.) or weed seed heads, mulching is preferable.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 11:05AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I agree. Grass types which go dormant (brown) in the winter seem to need a light trim to get a little bit of that old brown stuff off and let the sunlight in.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:50PM
Overfloater(Columbus, OH 6)

I have a tttf lawn renovated last September. It started growing a few weeks ago but so did the winter annuals. I have a small chickweed infestation and they were sending flowers up everywhere. I mowed and bagged at 2" to remove all the flowers.

I say now to 2" and let it rip.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:27AM
ZoysiaSod(6a/6b St.Lou TranZone)

Notes wrote, "Leave it alone for awhile?"
======
======

Hi Notes, and everyone else from last year :-)

Notes, I'd follow David's advice. I started my mowing this season a bit late, and found that my mower's highest setting would scalp the Rebels TTTF and gorgeous 1970's cultivar of Kentucky Bluegrass I have in the backyard (wish I knew what that cultivar from the '70's is). I learned I could tinker with the wheel setting levers to get my mower's blade height even higher than its regular maximum height. In fact, I was able to get the mower's blade about 0.6 inches higher, which is quite a bit higher than the max setting. But even that wasn't high enough to prevent some scalping.

So I actually layed down long pieces of wooden two-by-fours (2x4's) and used the wood like rails on which my mower's 4 wheels rode on!! It worked very well to my surprise :-)

This post was edited by ZoysiaSod on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 23:33

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™