Bermuda help - seed heads

brownivy(8b)April 28, 2014

Seeking advice on Bermuda lawn - was installed from sod in late sept 2013. This spring I hit it with 20 10 10 fertilizer in late march when it was approximately 50-60% greened up. This week, I have a ton of growth with seed heads appearing (see pic). Is this just Bermuda seed and I need to ask my lawn crew to lower their mow height or have I been invaded by some other grass?

Am planning to follow the Bermuda bible and start monthly nitrogen treatments.

Advice appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaiqbashir

I am also having same question. Please tell me if this is a bermuda seedhead or some other.

Regards

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 11:36AM
chaoticut

From the picture it does looks like your grass is pretty high and needs to be cut down quite a bit.

Per Texas A&M- "1-2 inches for common, 1/2-1 1/2 inches for hybrid"

Seed heads usually form when your grass is under stress. So follow the Bermuda Bible and cut, water, and fertilize properly and they should go away.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:49PM
joneboy(7)

There is common bermuda mixed in with your hybrid bermudagrass. Do what ChaoticUT said and mow lower and more often.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 10:11PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Both those lawns are too tall. Agree with the above.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:30PM
brownivy(8b)

I've bought a new reel mower and lowered cut height to 1-3/4". Have also reduced watering. I can now see lots of irregular brown patches (see pics). Any chance this (brown patch) is being caused by grubs and also stressing the lawn resulting in the seed heads?

I am in Austin, TX and pics were taken today - May 21, 2014.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 10:47AM
brownivy(8b)

additional picture

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 10:48AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Looks more like a lack of sunlight, first of all, and secondly a shortage of fertilizer and water. You would have to take out the trees and buildings to get that lawn up to a higher level. Have you considered St Augustine? That would be perfect in that area.

Grubs are predictable. When you see June bugs or Japanese beetles swarming your porch light in May or June, then you can expect to see some grubs. Your lawn can tolerate a certain amount of grub population. Whether you will have enough grubs to be a problem can also be predicted. About a month after you see the beetles on the porch lights, dig up a square foot of sod. If you find more than12 little grubs in that square foot, then you will likely notice grub damage later in July, Aug, or Sept. If you have fewer than 12 little grubs, then the chances of seeing any damage are small. So dig up a spot, but don't treat if you have fewer than a dozen little grubs. And by all means, dig up where you think the damage is occurring.

You have another problem. Is that a 2-trunk oak tree in your yard? Regardless of what it is, the trunk of the tree is buried too low under the soil level.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 11:23AM
chaoticut

Could those spots be the stolons? A result of letting the grass grow so high and then cutting it down so low?

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 10:13AM
auteck

Keep a short mowing height and frequent and those spots on your lawn will turn green, you can't let that grass grow too tall in between cutting because it will do exactly that.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
Applying Prodiamine with Backpack Sprayer
Hi All- Hoping Morph or another GW expert can help...
BondBull
Logan Labs soil results...need some recommendations.
Thanks for taking the time to interpret my Logan Labs...
prorange
Convert lawn full of old dog feces to normal lawn
Hello, I would love some advice on trying to get a...
jillian242424
Help with jar test...
Good evening... I recently moved from a house with...
Chris
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
Sponsored Products
Bermuda Pantry
Overstock.com
Natural Burlap Small Oval Lamp Shade 6/8x11/14x11 (Spider)
$24.99 | Lamps Plus
Bermuda Wall Sconce
Lightology
Surya Bermuda BER-1012 5' x 8' Burgundy Rug
$356.40 | PlushRugs
Pink Bermuda Bird Feeder
$24.99 | zulily
Tara Square Bermuda Salsa Square: 7 Ft. 9 In. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$435.00 | Bellacor
Americh Bermuda III Tub (59" x 59" x 23")
Modern Bathroom
Tommy Bahama Ivory Key Aqua Bay Dining Chair
$965.00 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™