Can pre-emergent cause delayed greenup

carillon(East TN - Zone 7a)April 27, 2014

I applied a pre-emergent in February on my zoysia lawn hoping to prevent chickweed and other early spring weeds from germinating.

This is the first time I've tried a pre-emergent and I'm now left to wonder if this application has caused my zoysia to be extremely slow to greenup this year.

Usually by this date my zoysia is all green and this year it's way behind schedule. The attached photo represents a roughly 5,000 sq.ft. area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sherm1082

I'm not an expert but I doubt it. The somewhat unusual and extended winter is probably the main contributing factor. I live in the Raleigh, NC area and my Bermuda is greening later as well. I too put down a pre-emergent but my grass is no more brown than anybody else's. I would just give it some time.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 2:01PM
carillon(East TN - Zone 7a)

I sure hope it comes back to life. I guess it could also possibly be winter kill since we had a few nights of extreme cold this winter... one night was zero.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 4:48PM
Sherm1082

I eluded to this in my answer, but when I have questions like this about my law, I always compare it to my neighbors. Are other yards around you experiencing the same sort of delayed green up?

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:32AM
carillon(East TN - Zone 7a)

In my neighborhood there aren't any other zoysia lawns. The best I could do was drive by a couple of area golf courses and they had not yet fully greened up but were further along than mine. Hard to say if they have zoysia or bermuda though.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 8:30AM
striper(IL)

The golf courses were probably pumped with fert to get an early wake up. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 11:49AM
gsweater

Just looks dormant to me and we've all had a very weird winter. Can you post a close up (standing height)? Any grey in it?

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™