Best way to train mandevilla onto a bamboo stick?

haloony(6B)December 4, 2011

Hey All,

I have a mandevilla on my desk and I would love to train it onto a bamboo stick. I have pictures to show what I am trying to do. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on the best way to get a mandevilla to latch onto and climb up a certain object. Here are my pics:

The first pic is a close up of the vine that I would like have climb up the pictured bamboo stick. The second pic just offers a wider angle. Should I just leave the bamboo stick up against the vine as pictured? If so, I have tried that and the vine does not always cooperate. Sometimes it looks like it is going to wind around the stick but I look up after an hour and it turns the wrong way. The motility of the vines is amazing but also frustrating in this case. Or perhaps is the best option to manually wind the plant around the stick.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I have a small bamboo trellis in the pot with my mandevilla. All I do is guide the young vines counterclockwise one half turn or so around one of the legs. I believe they are strongly oriented to go only one way -- mine always goes counterclockwise. If you just start them on their way, they will clasp and climb. The vines grow more woody as they mature, so you need to work with the very green tips. Mine are flexible to about 18 inches. You could use a very soft, loose tie, but the tips are easily damaged, so you need to be gentle. You might need to move the bamboo stick closer to the pot.

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 3:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haloony(6B)

Hey,

Thanks for the tip. I haven't had any luck yet but I'm gonna keep trying.

Thanks,
Hal

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Pilea Moonvalley - ID & Care
Just bought this plant. I'd appreciate ID confirmation...
bobv2
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Help me save my cat Palm!!
Hi, I've had my palm for almost a year now, the first...
connor55
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™