Overseeding After Applying Weed Killer

njgardener_2007April 20, 2008

Last Tuesday we applied Ortho Weed Killer (spray attached to the garden hose) on the entire lawn. We wanted to spread seed on the bare spots but weren't sure how long we have to wait. We dont want the weed killer to kill the grass seeds.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billhill(z5 MI - KBG)

I canÂt remember the instructions for every product out there but typically a three week waiting period before seeding is suggested after weed killing products. Read and follow the label instructions carefully. Try to keep your seeded bare spots damp for a few weeks after planting. Fertilize appropriately. Bill Hill

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 12:04PM
turf_toes(SE Pennsylvania KBG)

NJgardener_2007,

Do you still have the bottle? Normally, the label will contain that information.

I know with a total kill products (meaning it kills all plants, not just weeds) like Roundup (except the long-lasting type) you can normally seed the next day -- even says so on the label.

But for Ortho Weed Killer, I'd suggest reading the label. If you don't have the bottle, you can normally find the labels for such products online in the form of a pdf file.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 12:16PM
njgardener_2007

Thanks for the replies. Yes I did find the bottle and it says to wait a minimum of 3 weeks before seeding. Thats a long time - but will obviously have to wait if i want to see any results from the seeding. Thanks again for the prompt and accurate responses!

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 4:09PM
bpgreen(5UT)

One thing to point out is that when you've waited the three weeks, you'll be into early to mid May. If you plant KBG, it'll be late May to early June by the time the grass comes up, so you'll probably lose a lot of it to the summer heat. You may be able to keep more of it alive if you water enough, but you might be better off waiting to reseed until fall.

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™