Twenty 12-in sq. granite tiles; WWYD?

caroline94535July 28, 2014

We removed the ancient carpet from the living room and found solid oak flooring. A former owner had cut a 4'x5' square out of the wood flooring in front of the door. They slapped down 20 granite tiles and called the job good. I call it "not good".

Even as a type, a flooring man is here to repair the hole then sand and finish the entire room.

But, I digress. What would you do in the garden(s) with 20 square granite tiles?

At first I thought "stepping stones," but these babies are slick. The backs of the tiles are rougher, but I don't want to scape grout off of 20 tiles.

Here's the only photo I have of the tiles right now. They are a dark purply-brown with a yellow-goldish streaking. Not very descriptive, but my brain is tired today.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

Lucky you to hit the hardwood motherlode!

You could use the tiles vertically, like around a planter box; maybe even build some planters to showcase them.

Breaking them up and using as mosaic pathstones set in concrete would give rough edges so not so slippery

Kind of a specialty use: We're putting in an outdoor shower in a sunken area (used to have a pond there). I'm using slate tiles vertically to line sides of the area like a baseboard.

You could do something similar on an exposed foundation or anything else you'd like to camouflage (thank heavens for spell check, I tried putting the U in three different places before I got that right)

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:25PM
caroline94535

Steiconi! Your outdoor shower sounds wonderful!

LOL While I was in photojournalism tech school for the USAF, a lifetime ago, we had a long list of words that we had to spell, on demand and correctly, at all odd hours of the day or night. Camouflage was one of them.

As one of my airman once asked me, "You can't spell your own name correctly; why are you the Editor?" Be that as it may, I could spell "camouflage;" and as the ranking Editor, I could task him to check all the spelling.

This was so long ago we published newspapers on typewriters, used bees wax to paste up the dummies, and checked copy with a dictionary and thesaurus.

Oh for the good ole days.

I went through the transition of doing them on the computer and sending the pages to the printing press through the telephone line. I'd have to stay late to make sure all the pages went through; it was very slow.

I much preferred the old school way of publishing.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:50PM
roxanna(z5b MA)

i used similar sized marble "tiles" (inherited from a torn-down frat house decades ago) under the legs of all my garden benches, both teak and metal, to keep them from sinking in the soil/turf.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:24AM
roxanna(z5b MA)

i used similar sized marble "tiles" (inherited from a torn-down frat house decades ago) under the legs of all my garden benches, both teak and metal, to keep them from sinking in the soil/turf. mine are 1/2" - 3/4" thick -- if your tiles are thinner than that, this might not work for you...

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:26AM
caroline94535

Roxanna, that would be a great use for old tiles! Mine are only about 3/8-inch thick but I'll give it a try. Otherwise, I see them going along on the next trip to drop off donations.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:24AM
caroline94535

I posted the 20 tiles on FreeCycle late this afternoon. I had three responses in just a few minutes.

They have now been picked up and headed to their next great adventure!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:36PM
kieranw172

My first post.

I would have made them into planters.
I have done this with slate and have set them in the borders. You would have got 4 good planters from them.

I was planning on doing this with marble tiles, but haven't come across any local yet :) I love natural stone in the garden.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:41AM
caroline94535

Hi Kieran! I'm honored that your first post was to help me with my tiles.

The gal that picked them up from FreeCycle was very pleased to get them. I know she's making something wonderful!

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Craft fairs and Garden Junk
I know this really isn't the time of year to find Garden...
toomuchglass
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™