How to overseed Tall Fescue

cop35758April 12, 2010

So what are the steps to overseeding tall fescue? I have never done this before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl(z7 nc)

Step 1 - wait until fall. If you skip that step, don't bother with the rest.

Step 2 - cut the lawn low and rake up the debris. You should be able to see soil between grass blades.

Step 3 - spread seed and fertilizer

Optional step 4- spread spread straw, cellulose or other seed starting material

Step 5- water 2-3 times per day until the seed germinates. Slowly back off to once per week.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 12:44PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

billl's step one is the most important one for best results. The time to do it is when the summer heat breaks in your area. Depending on where you live that could be as early as early August or as late as Halloween. Tend toward getting it done early to allow the grass time to fill in and develop roots before winter hits.

The problem with skipping step 1 and seeding now is that you will germinate every crabgrass seed in the turf when you get to step 5. So whether you spend the money on seed now or not, you will have a crabgrass lawn by July. I suggest you take proper care until August and then go for the seed.

Proper care?
1. Water deeply and infrequently. Do not water every day unless you want to sprout weed seeds. Deeply means a full inch or more all at once. Infrequently means no more than once a week in the heat of summer. Less often now.
2. Mulch mow at the mower's highest setting. Tall grass grows nice deep roots to take advantage of the deep moisture you are applying in 1 above.
3. Fertilize regularly. For synthetic fertilizers like Scott's, that probably means Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. Easy to remember dates.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 3:06PM
kevingalaxy

Agree with both of the above, i did this last Fall. Fall is better so the grass doesnt compete with the weeds. Kills weeds til fall. Then do as bill suggested. Come end of fall it will thicken up nicely.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
bermuda thin and dry, needs to be revived.
just joined the forum, lots of great info BTW, needing...
tig488
Lawn vs. Dogs
I'm dogsitting for the next year. It's the first time...
zone7patti (7b)
What do I need to have a decent(not show quality) looking Lawn?
First, thank you in advance for the assistance. I have...
mat2cam
Shredded Paper on the Lawn?
Ok, so spring is here and my lawn has really greened...
forsheems
Need help with a disaster!
So we just moved in to our new home my wife fell in...
Roland Sanchez
Sponsored Products
White Pleated Shades - 48 Inch, Width - 48 Inches
$25.00 | Bellacor
Blue Grove Metal Art
Grandin Road
ACF by Nameeks ACF ANS28-GO New Space 39-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Gray O
Hayneedle
Fleur-De-Lis Rug 8' x 11' - BLACK/WHITE/IVORY
$2,299.00 | Horchow
Ceramic Lamp: 8.66 in. Purple Globe Table Lamp LT2008-PRP
$14.99 | Home Depot
Lightyears | Caravaggio Matte Grey Pendant Light
$395.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™