Do I need Gypsum?

meatballsub(TX-8b)April 23, 2010

I was recently told to apply gypsum as my clay soil is sodic. I am in Zone 8, TX. I assume it is sodic from the irrigation system - our tap water is sodic. I don't know if we usually get enough rain to wash out the sodium, but last year I did a lot of irrigation because of little rainfall, so sodium could be high because of that.

Gypsum is $10 for a 40 lb bag - I would need 7 bags to do my yard at 40lb/1000sf and it was said 2 treatments would be the minimum necessary. $70 seems like a lot for one treatment, as I can do two years of fertilizer with that money.

I found the gypsum magic myth below, but it still seems I may need it for my specific conditions.

The lawn doesn't look bad, but it could always be better. Any visual indicators that I could use to help decide if I need to apply this gypsum?

Here is a link that might be useful: the myth of gypsum magic

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

I didn't read the link, but I've read other things by Chalker-Scott. She tends to paint with a broad brush.

Gypsum is sometimes oversold as a magic cure-all, which it isn't. It helps a certain type of clay (sodic). If you've got sodic clay, it will help you. The "problem" with it is that it's sold as a cure for clay even in areas that have clay that isn't sodic where it does no good.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™