1/2 whiskey barrel

sorie6(6b ok.)July 15, 2011

I have a 1/2 whiskey barrel that I'd like to use in the garden BUT it doesn't have a bottom. It was rotted out when I took the dirt out of it. Anyone one here used one without a bottom? I've seen them kind of buried and flowers spilling out of them but they had bottoms!! Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ament(5a SD)

My neighbor down the road has one with iris' in it. I never thought Iris' as a good choice for those. However, I don't see why you cannot use it without a bottom. So long as it's got the bands that hold it together. Just use smaller things in it instead of iris'. I'd plant things that flow over the edges, some pansies, marigolds, a few taller things but not things like iris'. :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 5:26PM
jeannespines

I posted this whiskey barrel awhile back, sorie...& guess what, it's very old & had to be moved because we are siding our house...there was no bottom left in it! I'm hoping to still use it if we can move it back to the spot in the upcoming months...don't see why we can't as long as the hoops that hold the boards stay in-tack!

I planted Hosta, Chives, Coral Bells in it & since it's fairly close to the house, they have wintered over quite a few yrs. now. Also had German Ivy but it didn't winter over. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 7:20PM
diggery(z8)

Actually, the lack of a bottom is a NON-issue as far as planting goes. The barrell will simply serve as a border of sorts as well as offering some 'extra' winter protection as jeannespines noted.

Go for it! And be sure to post pics when it's all planted =]

blessings,
~digger

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 9:00PM
diggery(z8)

..LOVELY pic Jeanne, as always

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 9:17PM
kylslil1(8b)

Hey if you don't want the whiskey barrel cause it doesn't have a bottom...there's a home in florida that would be glad to have it....:):)

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 10:50PM
nonacook(8bFL)

I just recieved 2 and I am not sure they have bottoms!
They do need some wire around them because the hoops are coming apart. I think I will use copper wire to hold them together.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 2:20AM
More Discussions
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™