Reseeding Advice

ssmith1695April 1, 2014

I'm in the process of reseeding my lawn and have consulted a few resources that have recommended TTTF and KBG. I am only reseeding my front yard that gets sun throughout the day, so whatever I put down needs to be heat tolerant. Any suggestions on what to use - I am located in the Chicago suburbs? I have been in contact with The Hogan Company, who suggested their Hogan Blend to start in the spring and mix in KBG in the fall. Is this a solid suggestion based on a no shade area? I'm not a huge fan of the thick bladed grass, but I will certainly go with whatever is hearty enough to withstand the constant sun, even as I water on a regular basis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
forsheems(Lexington, NC)

I did a complete renovation this past fall and used the Hogan Blend. With the exception of a couple thin spots which are completely my fault, the grass is beautiful. Nice, dark green and the blades are very fine for TTTF. It's far better than the best stuff you can buy at the big box stores. I'm pretty sure tall fescue is more drought tolerant than KBG but KBG will spread to fill in bare spots. Either will do fine in full sunlight and both will require proper watering.

This is not the best time of year to reseed as much of it will likely die in the summer heat leaving plenty of room for weeds to take over. My suggestion would be to spend from now until early September preparing the soil for seeding in the fall. You'll end up spending much less money and have a beautiful lawn by this time next year.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Overseeding KBG with a Different Type of Seed?
We live in the High Desert area of southern California....
kendog2
HELP!! killing weeds on a very steep slope
My husband is seriously placing his life in danger...
mhchellebelle
any truth to jerry bakers tonics?
hello - I just bought one of jerry bakers lawn care...
Dan Zaklan
What do I need to have a decent(not show quality) looking Lawn?
First, thank you in advance for the assistance. I have...
mat2cam
Seeding after burning off the weeds & old stuff.
We burned the brushy stuff and old dried weeds around...
annaceil333
Sponsored Products
Ball Basket Five Arms Chandelier by Hubbardton Forge
$630.00 | Lumens
Linens: For Every Room Book
$55.00 | Horchow
Grid Wall-Mount Mailbox - Polished Stainless Steel
Signature Hardware
WBM Himalayan Lamps Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Basket Lamp - Tall (9-11lbs)
$23.95 | Home Depot
5' Red Cedar Classic Fanback Glider
Fifthroom.com
Flower Power Plant Sensor
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
WBM Himalayan Lamps Ionic Crystal Sun Globe Salt Lamp (8-10lbs) 1451
$32.22 | Home Depot
'Be Brave' Bear Box Sign
$7.49 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™