Need Ideas for using old silver trays

benannieJuly 16, 2011

Just joined this most interesting group. I saw some wind chimes made out of old silver ware and trays. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for using up a very large round tray or a regtangular one...Don't think I need more than one wind chime, even though I love the ones someone posted. Thanks in advance. BENannie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Well you could make a base out of vases and plates and use the tray as the top for a nice side table or plant stand for your porch or deck. Or hang it in a fruit tree to scare away birds.
I'm sure there will be lots of ideas for you. I've never used a metal tray to make something.
Kathy

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 4:43PM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

I've really wanted to try this idea for a while. Mosaic the inside. It could be used as a table top or other display.

There are a lot of examples out there, this is just one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic tray

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 7:53PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

I have a dining room chair that I want to make into a chair planter, but it has no slats across the backrest. I am thinking of getting a mirror to use for the back of the chair, and it would reflect the flowers I plant on the seat of the chair. The same thing could be done with a rectangular silver tray. Wouldn't THAT be gorgeous??
-Sprout...(Linda)

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 12:41AM
nonacook(8bFL)

I have been seeing silver trays used as chalkboards lately, so I googled 'silver tray chalkboards' and
sure enough there were several there with directions.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 1:51AM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

You could drill little holes at the corners and attach small chains, bring the ends of the (4) chains together in one "S" hook and hang from a tree or shepherd's hook and you have one classy birdfeeding tray.

A while back, I had 3 silver trays and I mounted them on metal rods at different heights (approx. 1-2-3 feet). I slanted the trays so that when it rained, one tray would empty onto another - kind of like a rain chain, done with trays. I planted flowers at the base of the taller rods. It was lovely and I got a lot of compliments on that one. Still thinkin...
-Sprout...(Linda)

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 12:50PM
chelcass(Z5 Michigan, U.P.)

Besides windchimes and birdfeeders we use them for roofs of birdhouses. Also you can string two or three or what ever number and size you want and drill a hole in each end and then attach fish leaders so they twirl in the breeze(wal marts and most any discount store) and hang them on end for a silvery suncatcher. You can even hang silverware at the bottom to make a windchime/suncatcher.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™