moss control method that's kid and pet friendly?

njitgradApril 18, 2014

My lawn is seriously getting hit with moss this year, worst case since I bought my house three years ago. It's time I fought back.

Are any of the conventional garden-center moss control products safe for use when I have kids that like to roll around on the grass in my backyard and our dog who loves to do the same?

If not, then can anyone recommend an organic or DIY solution?

In addition....I also toss my lawn clippings in my compost 3-bin system. How long after application of any product to kill the moss can I start composting my lawn clippings again.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

Iron application can help suppress moss. 3 oz of iron sulfate or ferrous ammonium sulfate in 5 gallons of water will cover 1000 square feet. Sorry, I don't speak for the safety of ANY product. That is something an individual needs to determine for themselves to their satisfaction for their circumstances.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 3:51PM
andy10917(NY 6a)

MOST moss control products are very safe. They are generally based on Iron Sulfate or Zinc Sulfate (both mined natural products) and are actually beneficial to lawns and plants. Other products use Potassium Soaps of Fatty Acids, widely regarded as being quite safe.

Now, "safe" doesn't equate with "not messy" - the Zinc and (especially) Iron products can stain concrete and peoples' clothing if it's soon after the products were applied.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 3:53PM
njitgrad

So should I wait until a decent rainfall is expected in that case? I just don't want the kids getting it on their clothes/skin

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 4:06PM
yardtractor1

I hope my pre-emptive disclaimer (as the OP qualified his question) didn't imply any particular safety concerns. It is just a rule of mine that I don't vouch for the safety of anything--even if I know of no concerns regarding a product. I also try my best to never recommend a product without revealing any safety/health concerns that I am aware of.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 4:08PM
yardtractor1

Not to beat a dead horse, and personally, I think it is an overreaction to a minor possibility, but the link bellow is an example of why I try to follow my policy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ironite

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 4:42PM
njitgrad

Well if iron sulfate has the potential to be caustic I certainly don't want to use it. Are there any organic alternatives?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 3:48PM
yardtractor1

Who said anything about iron sulfate being caustic?
There is a big difference between saying something is unsafe and attesting to the safety of something.
I never said iron sulfate was unsafe.
By my standards it is safe. I don't presume to know what your standards might be, so, in an over abundance of caution, I wanted to emphasize that my reply to your question was not to be interpreted as a voucher of safety. As iron sulfate can cause minor skin irritation (as can some common fabric softeners,soaps, etc.), if your child goes out and rolls around in it and gets a mild rash, I don't want you coming back and giving me grief that I had misled you.
Please read the MSDS an make your own informed determination.

Here is a link that might be useful: MSDS

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 12:12PM
tlinden(7/RhodeIsland)

I used ashes from my pellet stove and it went away. The only issue is it left the grass looking dirty for a while and you don't want to roll in it =P

But the moss went away quickly (so quickly I was having trouble remembering where the moss was in the first place when I went to put more down LOL)

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Logan Labs analysis
I finally got a Logan Labs soil analysis. The numbers...
timtsb
Velocity herbicide
I have had Poa Annua n triv for many years. It almost...
hoganjr
Lawn vs. Dogs
I'm dogsitting for the next year. It's the first time...
zone7patti (7b)
New Ant Hill on top of Grass Seedlings
I put down a layer of topsoil in my front lawn before...
mikec
Protecting Grass Seedlings from Frost
I planted grass two weeks ago and have been watering...
mikec
Sponsored Products
Traditional Thermostatic 2 Outlet Shower System, 8 Rose & Handshower
Hudson Reed
Radiance Sweetgrass Pendant - Seafoam Green Lily Style Glass with Black hardware
$809.10 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Stair Tread: Simply Seamless Rugs Posh Toasted
$19.97 | Home Depot
Landry Storage Ottoman - CREAM
$899.00 | Horchow
Lynx 36-inch Freestanding Grill with All ProSear2 Burners and Rotisserie
FRONTGATE
New Cat Condos Mini Pagoda Cat House - 110017 - BEIGE
$92.99 | Hayneedle
Tolomeo 17 Inch Off Center Suspension by Artemide
$925.00 | Lumens
Elements 003 Vase by Moooi