Saving an abandoned spider plant?

TohkanoDecember 20, 2013

As I was moving out of my dorm room for winter break at college, I found a plant in the garbage! It looked like it still had healthy leaves, so I sort of... adopted the poor thing. As far as I can tell it's a spider plant. It's about 5 in. tall. Half of the plant looks beautiful, but the other half has leaves with brown splotches and the stem looks pretty brown as well. The dirt is horrible looking (although I certainly am no expert on dirt) and the top half of the plant is kind of slumped over to the side. I would upload photos but my computer is packed and my phone isn't working, but I'll try to upload some when I get home.
I's hate to see a beautiful plant like this go to waste, but I don't really know what to do for it. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pelargonium_gw

Spider plants are tough cookies! Take a look at the roots, are they healthy and white, or brown and mushy? If they are white and firm, there is certainly hope! You can trim off the brown leaves, and if some of the roots don't look so good, you can trim them off too. Given time and some TLC, there is a good chance the plant will come around.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
The "Show Off" Thread
I love coming to this site for all kinds of useful...
savannaicus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™