Cyclamen africanum

mateopava(8 El Paso, Tx)December 30, 2013

These will eventually go out on my balcony, and only come in with the threat of a freeze being that this species is frost sensitive. I should post on the balcony forum, but since this forum is more active, I thought I would post here first.
This is my first time growing Cyclamen from seed. They were slow to germinate, took 6 weeks from the sow date. They are now 2 weeks since first appearing above the soil line, and although they are growing taller, it is incredibly slow and still have yet to open their first leaf. Is this normal and I am just being impatient? I'm hoping someone here has experience with these and can give me some cultural advice.
I am currently growing them under grow lights in my office. It goes to about 60F at night, and to 70F during the day.
I have a unheated room at home with a bright southeast facing window, the temp in that room fluctuates between 50F and 55F, would it be better to grow them there?
Would it be better if I just put them on my patio and only bring them in if there is a frost risk?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I can't specifically advise about africanum, but hardy cyclamen grow darn slowly.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 8:55AM
petrushka

i've sprouted florist cyclamen from seed. don't know how they compare in size/growth to africanum. they are quite large when mature, but the seedlings were tiny.
i kept them tented for a year in egg-carton 'propagator' in very shallow medium, since i was afraid to dry them up.
they grew ultra slow.
at one year with a few leaves the clump was not larger then a quarter. and out of a dozen plants only 2 survived the 2nd yr.
by 3rd yr they were the size of small african violet and they bloomed. after that they finally started putting on growth.
i never let them go dormant. i bring them indoors for winter and very hot summer months. i still have both plants - about 5yrs old by now and huge. tubers may be 5" in diameter.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 12:12PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The linked site suggests you could expect flowers 2 years after sowing. There may be people over on the Bulbs Forum who have grown this species from seed and can add further advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: C africanum

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 12:58PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

i CANT EVEN KEEP FLORIST CYCLAMEN ALIVE FOR LONG... cant even imagine growing C. africanum

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 4:33PM
mateopava(8 El Paso, Tx)

Thank you all for the input and links. They seem to be getting closer to unfurling their first leaf, so I think I will keep doing as I have been and watch their progress.

Matt

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 12:19PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

You might be interested to browse this site. There is information on propagation there.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cyclamen Society

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Jasmine plant in suspended animation
Hi all, Hubby bought me a little jasmine plant for...
vamtngranny
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™