Soap on lawn

jscaldwellApril 2, 2011

I've read the posts that say one way to 'soften up' your soil and make it more receptive to deep watering (for example) is to spray soap on it using the typical feeding attachment on a hose. But how much should be sprayed per 1000 sq ft? Is there a common setting on these sprayers that works for soap.

Also would like to confirm that two applications a couple of weeks apart is a good starting point for trying this. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Confirming what you have said.

I set the hose end sprayer dial so that it comes out foamy. Then I apply about 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet. Follow that with a regular (deep) irrigation to wash it in.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 11:58PM
mondo(Michigan)

What type of soap?

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 5:35PM
bpgreen(5UT)

I've never done this, but from what I've read, something like generic baby shampoo is about the best.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 11:09PM
texas-weed(7A)

Stop and learn something. You have to be extremely careful what kind of soap, in fact not soap at all as most dish soap has anti-bacterial agents and de-greasers in it which is a recipe for dead grass.

Several years ago when my youngest Son was going to college at OSU, he did a gas Chromatigraph on a product called Nitron A-35. What he found is it is flat stale dark beer, baby shampoo, and an enzyme found in human saliva. So we came up with a recipe that closely matched it.

1 bottle of stale dark beer. Open it up and let it sit out a few days.
1 cup of spit.
1 3-0unce travel bottle of Sauve or Johnson's tearless baby shampoo.

Place in a hose end sprayer and set dial to 1 TBLSP per gallon.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 5:33PM
nearandwest(7)

Lol. No thanks, I believe I will stick with the program that continues to work for me.

That gas Chromatigraph thingy......does that have anything to do with flatulation???

And finally..."1 cup of spit". That's a lot of spitting!!! I'll be there all night!! Can I just pee in a cup instead?

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 7:11PM
texas-weed(7A)

And finally..."1 cup of spit". That's a lot of spitting!!! I'll be there all night!! Can I just pee in a cup instead?

Well I suggest you buy a 6-pack of dark beer and drink 5 bottles of it and in the process spit in a cup after each slurp. Save the last bottle for the concoction. The other alternative is go to a health food store and buy a bottle of Yucca plant extract liquid. as it is the same enzyme but very expensive.

Or just buy a gallon bottle of Nitron A-35 for $40. I do not know if they even still make it or not.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 12:20PM
nearandwest(7)

Well, I tried to follow your advice, but had mixed results. After drinking 5 dark beers, I had a beer buzz and forgot about saving the sixth beer and drank it also. Meanwhile, spitting into the 16 oz. cup while drinking beer wasn't filling the cup fast enough, so I got Rupert to try and help me (big mistake). He decided to pee in the cup. When I told him he had killed all my enzymes, he poured out the cup onto Mrs. Filberts azaleas. Boy, is she gonna be mad!

So instead of going to the health food store for some cactus, we decided to go hang out with Louise at the Waffle House. Weed, you got any other bright ideas?

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™