Philodendron Scandens new growth is redish

smishgibson(7b)December 4, 2013

This philo has done ok for us, but its always been in extremely low light, in peat/perlite in a plastic pot. It never grew much, put out maybe 3 or 4 new leaves in 6 months.

We repotted into 5-1-1, and put in a terra cotta pot with a small trellis. I have been watering with 1/4 tsp each Foliage pro and Pro-tek per gallon(same as all the other plants in the house) and also moved it to a north window(absolutely no direct sun, but much brighter than were it was before).

Since these changes it has tons and tons of new growth, the inter-node length went way down( old inter nodes were at 3.5 inches, new growth as inter nodes at about 1-1.5 inches)

Only thing that seems odd is the color of the leaves. I don't know how well you can tell from the picture, the new growth is lighter(that is expected, its new and its being grown in more light) but also red. I think you can see it better on the stem. But even the leaf veins are very very red. I will try and get a better picture of it later.

Only thing i know happened is i did let it get too dry right after repotting, that 5-1-1 dried a lot faster than i expected. Maybe its drought stress? Just wanted to be sure it wasn't a deficiency or anything.

With the plant putting on so much growth, i don't think its at all in any sort of peril, just that the reddish growth with reddish viens isn't very attractive and if it can be minimized or eliminated that would be good. :-)

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

"the reddish growth with reddish viens isn't very attractive" Uhoh. I hope you can talk your eyes into appreciating that. A sign of good health, vigorous new growth. As the new leaves age, they will adjust to the normal color.

If it wasn't doing that before, and you really don't like it, maybe move it back? "but its always been in extremely low light"

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 5:26PM
rachels_haven(6)

Wow, how timely and good to know. Mine's just started growing big red leaves too. It didn't look unhealthy, but I was just wondering lately...

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 6:09PM
smishgibson(7b)

That's for the reply purp. That's good news, I don't mind the first fews leaves on each stem being reddish, just didn't want it to be that way permanently. If they darken with age, that will be perfect.

Its probably just that before, the leaves would open so very slowly that they would be darkened before they were fully unfurled.

Glad its the look of vigerous growth. :-)

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 6:53PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Cool! There may not be peace on Earth, but we have 'peace on Philos.' Some are VERY red, BTW.

Sometimes the red edges aren't as visible without strong light, or especially back-light. I notice most details like that when plants are outside. Good point about not being as noticeable when the growth is more slow. The chlorophyll would have more time to develop (if that's the correct phrasing?) as the leaves unfurl more slowly.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Peace Lily
i want to try and grow peace lily plant from seed,...
lulu627
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™