What's happening to my pineapple?

jdixiemDecember 8, 2013

I planted a pineapple top about a year ago, and it's been doing great since then until the last few days. The leaves are turning yellow and brown and seem to be dying off. It's planted in a clay pot in very fast draining soil (I forget the mixture, but it's part cactus mix). I water it thoroughly whenever it's dry and I have never fertilized it. It's quite special to me as it sparked my interest in indoor gardening and my plant collection has grown extensively since then. I really don't want it to die. Any suggestions?

(It's my first time posting on here, so I'm not sure if the picture will work. Sorry :( )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

hi
Looks like WAYY to much water lol Pineapples are incredibly easy to grow except for two things too much water and lack of light . Let it dry out completely
They store water in their leaves . I've grown them completely epiphyticly with no media at all. Only ones I've ever killed were too much water gary

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 4:29AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yes, that potting mix is way too heavy and holding far too much moisture. You need a fast-draining mix with little organic material. Chances are, the roots are rotting.

Josh

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 11:03AM
jdixiem

What do you reccomend I replant it in?

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 12:12PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I recommend a porous, fast-draining mix.
What sort of resources do you have at your disposal?

If you're limited to Home Depot type stores, then you could buy an "Orchid Mix" to start, and then add something to it depending upon how fine the mix is. During the Winter, you want a mix that dries out in 4 - 6 days, tops.

Josh

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 6:05PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

No experience with pineapple except consuming, but definitely with interpreting anecdotes/advice, and killed many plants in the past with water. When Gary said he'd grown this epiphytically, I don't know if the semantics are correct without getting more info about whether or not it was danging from a tree limb, but he's at least indicating "without a pot" (and I didn't start typing here to examine the semantics of good info, just hoping for a giggle maybe. And some curiosity - he does really interesting stuff 'down there' in S FL.)

But why I started typing is that if it were my plant, upon reading Gary's input, I'd remove it from its' pot. Hopefully the whole thing will hold its' shape. If not, gently sit on newspaper or cardboard to dry. Then proceed with the rest of the great advice here about a more appropriate mix for a plant like that in a pot. I've managed to save rotting plants this way (realized post-purchase usually) and this has made it easier to keep succulents alive in their bought peat ball if repotting must wait. Moisten well, then sit on newspaper to dry. Back in pot if you want, not necessary.

Removing the gone-over leaves from any plant is a good idea, in case there is any kind of fungus or surface pathogen that could spread.

An 'orchid pot' might work well for such a plant. A short, squat unglazed clay pot with slits on the sides near the bottom.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
Ming aralia
I've had a Ming Aralia in my cubicle for almost 6 months...
yuliju
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™