Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrina)

jessiec777(Washington State 5)December 6, 2011

I bought this guy from a big box store roughly about a week ago. I haven't watered it at all. It is still wet from the store. As you can see the leaves are yellowing and it is just this side. I believe this was the side they had facing away from light. Could not enough light be causing this? I hung it near a south facing window where it gets plenty indirect sunlight. I just rotated this side towards the light a day or so ago. It definitely needs re-potted. Should I go ahead and do that or let it be for the winter? It seems to be producing new leaves on the vines still. Google isn't helping much...I thought I may get some good feedback from the pros around here ;-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I would repot it and put it in a much lighter soil mix. One week ago seems a long time for it to still be wet. Maybe it got overwatered. I really don't know why the leaves are yellow. Otherwise it looks healthy and beautiful.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 6:30PM
jessiec777(Washington State 5)

Thanks for the response zackey! I think I will re-pot in a grittier mix. I was checking on it and it is so root bound I can't even stick my finger in to the soil...it's all roots lol

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 1:50AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'd not hesitate to give it a major haircut, while you're at it. New growth will emerge pretty quickly...and it will be green!

The more light this plant gets, the happier it will be.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 3:08AM

Thanks rhizo!

I went a tad wild and performed major surgery lol I separated all the starts of each plant and gave it a major haircut. I stuck the cut pieces back into the soil. It looks a little droopy this morning, but I did save some starts just in case it doesn't pull through.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 3:54PM
birdsnblooms

Jessie. Cuttings will probably take a little longer to root because of the time of year.

If you have extra cuttings try rooting in water. Bottom leaves must be removed otherwise, if they sit in water they rot.
Change water every 2nd or 3rd day.

Actually, it's a good idea pinching the top two leaves throughout summer to keep compact.
Even then, in cold climate/grey day winters, stems tend to get spindly.

Most likely, leaves yellowed from over-watering. For the time being, water soil thoroughly when it's mostly dry. This is especially important during dark, winter months.
I'm sure you're WJ will look great..Toni

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 6:27PM

Thanks Toni! I do have some starts in water....just waiting to see some action. The poor plant looks kind of sad. I have pretty high ceilings so I lowered the plant down to make sure it gets sufficient light. I hope it pulls through.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 8:44PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Good luck!

I don't even bother re-potting this plant anymore. I just cut off the vibrant growth tips and re-root a potful.
Indeed, use a fast-draining mix and water thoroughly. This plant roots more quickly than any other plant for me.

Beware the water-roots. They will not transition well to soil because they are more brittle and less efficient
at taking up oxygen and nutrients (when potted into a mix).

Josh

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 11:13AM

Thanks Josh...I always appreciate reading your input :-)

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Options to water the plant while away from office .
Dear All Would like to know your opinions on any options...
lukein123
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
What kind of plant is this?
I recently purchased a houseplant from b&q but...
hancoll
Is my pothos dying?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
Sponsored Products
Waverunner Loveseat in Black
$500.00 | LexMod
European Wander Wall Clock
| Dot & Bo
Flos | Skygarden S2
YLighting
DENY Designs Sophia Buddenhagen Messenger Outdoor Throw Pillow - 16088-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Dandelion Floor Lamp by Moooi
$3,157.00 | Lumens