meyer lemon dropping leaves

vaherbmomDecember 29, 2010

My meyer lemon, which has done very well up til now, is dropping alot of leaves. There are also currently about 5 nice-sized lemons on it, almost ripe. Should I be concerned? The upper ends of the larger branches are pretty much defoliated, but there are younger/smaller branches near the base that have plenty of leaves.

thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

No..Pretty common for Meyer with lower light levels, lack of fresh air, dry heat in a home if warm, and just a fussy plant.

If you start seeing twig die back, then I would be concerned. That spells over watering or a very poor mix for this time of the year.

Also, pest's can be destroyed if this is the cause. Have you checked?

Mike

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 6:29PM
vaherbmom

thanks so much. I will give it a squirt of insecticidal soap as I do see two stringy threads hanging on it. No twig die-back as yet.

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 9:55AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I can't add anything to what Mike wrote, but I will recommend that you shoot on over to the Citrus Forum.
If you post pics, diagnosis will be much easier.

Josh

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 12:15PM
amccour

My key lime is prone to really massive/total leaf loss in the winter. Put it back outside in the summer and it's fine.

I think it's a mixture of already less-than-optimal indoor lighting being worsened by shorter daylight.

Also watering is sort of tricky to get right in the winter too. There's no active growth, so I tend to underwater. Except sometimes I underwater too much and that also makes the plant shatter, so whatever.

and yes from what I've heard Meyer Lemons are the worst citrus in terms of spontaneous defoliation.

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™