Please Help!! I used Scotts Bonus S for my bermuda lawn.

rputtaguntaApril 8, 2010

Please Help!! I used Scotts Bonus S for my bermuda lawn.

The guy at the home depot told me I should use this and I went ahead yesterday and spreaded Bonus S on my bermuda grass lawn.

Then, I watered it pretty good last night.

I went to Scotts Website and they have this to say for Bonus S and Bermuda.

Do not apply to lawns or mixed lawns of bahiagrass, bermudagrass, bluegrass, fine fescue, bentgrass, tall fescue or dichondra

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70020

Please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goren

That is an organic fertilizer and if the nurseryman says its safe for your Bermuda I think you should trust the man who knows.
Many fertilizers are explicitly suggested for some types of grass and some should not be as also is some types of broadleafed weed killers. Normally these are safe to use on natural grass but for some southern grasses broadleafed weed killer is that, a killer. The importance of reading the label and asking question is truer than ever.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 7:23PM
WestchesterGrower(Lower NY)

Listening to the Home Depot guy was your first mistake...Not to sound like a jerk

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 9:00PM
dougt

Don't worry. This stuff is made for St Augustine and similar grasses. Bermuda is a beast compared to these grasses. You will be fine. I don't even know why they have that on the bag. It does not make sense.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 9:01AM
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

westchestergrower was correct, most workers at HD or Lowes know nothing about what they are selling, the are there to stock shelves and keep the store clean.
I agree with dougt, no need to worrie, atrazine will not harm bermuda.
In the future I would just use straight fertilizer and spray for weeds with better weed killers such as 2,4-d.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 11:22AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

And I vote with all the above replies. If you want to fertilize, use fertilizer. If you want to kill weeds, spot spray with Weed-B-Gone 2 weeks after you fertilize.

But also, if your bermuda has not been mowed twice, then you fertilized too early. You fertilized the weeds.

The USDA just published something showing that every time you use Atrazine, it becomes less effective than the previous use. Apparently the soil microbes become better and better at neutralizing it and rendering it ineffective.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 6:20PM
carter_christensen_gmail_com

I'm ashamed to say that i did the exact same thing and it killed my entire lawn. Now I have no idea what to do. Do I need to re-seed? All the lawn has gone dead and crusty, yet the weeds are still there.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 7:14PM
texasredhead(z8Texas)

Good grief people, don't you EVER read the stuff on the bags. Plus, right on the front of the bag it says it is for use on St. Augustine lawns. Also, Bonus S, kills actively growing weeds. It is not a pre-emergent, and yes, it treats bermuda like a weed. And it sure isn't organic.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 10:24AM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

To save you a lot of money, locate nearest Lesco or John Deere Landscape store and get yourself a bag of pre-em to prevent weeds (now is a good time).

Also get 39-0-0 Fertilizer. It's a fifty pound bag which will cover 18,000 sqft. Figure out the total of sqft lawn you have and get enough bags to last you all year. Most fertilize bermuda once a month. Don't worry. 39-0-0 is pretty cheap. 25 bucks a bag.

Bermuda don't usually start really growing till April so you wasted money on Bonus S fertilizer. Sorry. Rule of thumb is to start fertilizing when you start mowing.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 12:10PM
pacochu

I would love find a fertilizer that feeds St. Augustine and kills Bermuda. The Bermuda has gotten bad in spots of my lawn.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 10:07AM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Pacochu,

Plant more trees and mow high.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 5:10PM
charlidg_sbcglobal_net

I am crushed, we have one of the prettiest lawns in town every year and I believe I just killed it. I have a tall fescue and I applied Scott's Bonus S without reading the entire label. I just looked to see where to set the spreader. How long does it take to kill it? Should I wait to see what it does or should I just go ahead and have the lawn removed and get ready to reseed?

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 9:48PM
nearandwest(7)

Not a guarantee, but try this. Within the next 48 hours, apply activated charcoal at 5-10 lbs. per 1000 sq.ft. over the affected area and water in.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 10:58PM
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

The charcoal thing might be a waste of time, the atrizine is in the soil once it is watered in. The active charcoal does not dissolve in water so it will just sit on-top of the soil and filter the rain or irrigation water coming into the soil.
Once the atrizine hits the roots, it will be absorbed with in a few hours.
If you put active charcoal down, you will track black coal into your house.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 11:46PM
wrager(Z5 OH)

WCP8-this pertains to the atrazine conatined in the Bonus S and its determental affect on Bermuda grass. Your post says you have tall fescue. Why are you worried?

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 8:16AM

TW said, Good grief people, don't you EVER read the stuff on the bags.

At first I thought he was being crotchety, but GOOD GRIEF! This is going from bad to worse.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 9:42AM
nearandwest(7)

I remember when we used activated charcoal to successfully neutralize Simazine herbicide that had been applied too close to a bentgrass putting green. The activated charcoal was applied either 1 or 2 days after the Simazine was applied and watered in on a sandy loam soil. Since Simazine and Atrazine are both triazine herbicides, I would think there is some chance that activated charcoal might be effective.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 9:43AM

I'd like to point out that this type of application mistake cannot happen with the modern, grain-based, organic lawn care program.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 9:47AM
nearandwest(7)

Very well pointed out Mr. Hall. And it is another reason why I am becoming more of a believer in the organic approach to lawn care.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 10:14AM
texas-weed(7A)

Geez guys this one is so simple. He used Atrazine on Bermuda which you can get away with sometimes. But read the darn label as it states very clearly DO NOT USE ON BERMUDA

Any questions?

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 2:23PM
nearandwest(7)

I was responding to the post from WCP 8 concerning the application of Bonus S on tall fescue.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™