Tea bags and banana peels?

houseplantlover(ontario/canada)December 22, 2009

I have never heard of this one before...but hey....what do I know. What do you have to say about it?

Get rid of the dust on your houseplants and give them a refreshing shower by popping them in the garden during a light rain. This saves on your water bills too - and avoids the need to buy special wipes to clean the leaves. Alternatively, use a discarded teabag or the inside of a banana skin to wipe the dusty leaves of houseplants and give them a shine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Whew! I thought you were going to suggest adding banana peels and tea bags (leaves) to your soil.

Al

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 7:18PM
houseplantlover(ontario/canada)

Funny Al, that one I know you cant do but cleaning the leaves with banana peels? Still wanting your oponion. Thanks again. Merry Christmas

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 10:39AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Lol..So did I ..I am like ok? hahaha

Mike..

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 12:56PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Well ...... I remember when I was a kid, we used to 'collect' really pretty pebbles & stones. If we got one we thought was worth saving, we would always wet it for a better look at it. The reason we wet it was because we always polished our stones with the inside of an old banana peal because it made them shiny. It made them shiny by filling in the pores of the stone and depositing natural oils on the stone surfaces. Is that something we want on plant leaves? Probably not, but at the same time, I don't have any idea how harmful it might (or might not) be. It WOULD make the leaves shine, though.

Not sure about the tea bags either, I know that tea leaves in soil are not a good thing, nor is using tea as a 'tonic', but as I think through the physiologic implications, I don't think they would be too bad to dust with. I do think though, that it doesn't have anything to do with the tea in the bag - just that the paper makes a good cleaning material, so I guess I would prolly look until I found a sponge that would work equally well.

Merry Christmas to you too, HPL (and Mike) ....... It's so close, I might as well include everyone. ;o) Merry Christmas to all!

Al

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
March flowers 2015
Old thanksgiving cactus blooming later than normal. Hoya...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™