Help!!! My grass seed won't grow!

toddrifficApril 26, 2009

I bought 4 bags of Scott's Patchmaster to fill tire marks and other divots in my lawn. (It's a seed, fertilizer, mulch combination)

1st I put down top soil (no I didn't ph test it).

Then I put the patch masterdown and watered daily (twice daily when it was especially dry.)

It's been 10 days and I have nothing...I'm going to give up soon! The weather, here isn't going below 50 anymore. Am I crazy or is something wrong?

What did I do wrong?

Should I go out and buy new seed and try it again?

any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Go outside right now and turn on the water. You should have been watering three times per day and not missing a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are good times to water. Water for 15 minutes each time.

Once the grass has been mowed at your mower's highest setting, start to back off on watering. Ultimately you want to water only once a week in the heat of summer. To do that you will need to water for an hour or so to get enough water deep into the soil. In the summer I water once a week for 1-3 hours per zone. The rest of the time I water every other week.

Did you roll the seed down? If not go out and walk on every seed you can see. Don't jump up and down on them, just step on them. They need to have good seed-to-surface contact. Walking on them provides the perfect pressure.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 5:03PM
skizot(5b)

The seed-to-soil contact isn't as necessary with the Scott's Patchmaster stuff. The seeds come in a medium that surrounds them and helps with moisture retention. It also has a little bit of starter fertilizer mixed in. The seeds will germinate in this medium, and the new roots will find their way down into the soil.

The key here is keeping the medium (I believe it's a blue fluffy looking stuff) constantly moist. It doesn't have to be sitting in water, but keep it moist. Water it 3 times a day like dchall said.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 5:11PM
jeannie7

What does the package say....did you expect the seed to germinate in 10 days....and what has the weather been like in those 10 days.
Watering---actually sprinkling, is necessary, sure...but it doesn't need soaking.

If the grass seed is any kind of quality, IT WILL GERMINATE, just give it time and keep sprinkling...but don't drown the seed.

Tire marks...suggests the ground was compacted when you put down the topsoil. An inch would have sufficed if the soil under it was scored with a rake or it was turned over and raked.
The seeds have to have something to put donw roots in...

You might go out and rake the seed throughout the area and tamp it down or roll it with a roller that is only 1/3 volume. Sprinkle it beforehand.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 7:16PM
skizot(5b)

No, don't go out and rake the seed. That's bad advice. I don't think Jeannie is familiar with Scott's Patchmaster. Also, Tod already said that he put down topsoil first. The seeds should have no problems rooting once they germinate.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 9:49PM
coody

If the seeds have not grown, for example, two month or more because of no watering, is there any chance to have the grass seeds grown or the seeds have been "dead."

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:38PM
toddriffic

Thanks for the help... I went out today and a few seeds had started to germinate.

I don't think I watered it enough...it's been so dry and windy this past week and I don't usually have the time during the hottest part of the day.

I'm going to get some new seed and start over...I have to mow the grass around the spots again. This time I'll be sure to water it enough...

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!

T

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
I want the best yard in the neighborhood
Hello, my name is Wes and I'm pretty much a first time...
wesottinger
Texas Weed Bermuda Bible
What follows is a generic calendar of recommended lawn...
texas_weed
Convert lawn full of old dog feces to normal lawn
Hello, I would love some advice on trying to get a...
jillian242424
Applying Prodiamine with Backpack Sprayer
Hi All- Hoping Morph or another GW expert can help...
BondBull
Cannot find Lesco 15-5-10
HD no longer carries the Lesco 15-5-10 fertilizer...neither...
pepcatch11
Sponsored Products
Exaco ECO Composting Mixing Tool - ECO 3000
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Hunter Satin White Ceiling Fan Finial 28911
$9.47 | Home Depot
Memory Foam with Gel Mattress
Grandin Road
Carafe Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Ivory/ Rust Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
Eastwood Leather Ottoman - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Tibetan Leaves Rug 9' x 12' - IVORY
$8,619.00 | Horchow
Offset Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™