How to amend soil based on soil test results

Rallydog9April 16, 2014

So I'm starting over on my lawn, tore out all the old turf and had soil tests done. Now I'm wondering how to go about implementing the amendments that were recommended before seeding.

Heres what was recommended (in lb per 1000sqft), each area is 2500 square feet.

Front Yard
Lime - 0
N - 2 to 4
P - 0.5
K - 2

Back
Lime - 150
N - 2 to 4
P - 0
K - 3

Side
Lime -100
N - 2 to 4
P - 0
K - 3

The nitrogen wasn't tested for so I'm assuming those are just general recommendations for new lawn construction

I've got a 45lb bag of MAG-I-CAL I was hoping to use insead of lime to adjust the pH. I'm thinking of dividing the lime requirements by 10, not sure what the lime to mag-i-cal ratio would be. Any ideas?

What do I use to add Potassium? Do I just grab any fertilizer with some nitrogen, no phosphorus and some Potassium and spread away? quick math on a 20-0-10 fertilizer means i'll need 100 lbs, seems like a lot to me to put down at once.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

I know next to nutthin 'bout reading soil tests but a couple of advisories.

Depending on who did the testing, some labs give recommendations for lime for agricultural purposes where they expect the lime to be mixed into the soil rather than spread on top. Keep in mind that grass does best in soil that is at a PH of 6.5ish or so.and that it is much easier to increase PH than it is to reduce it. So if you add to much lime...
Second thing to keep in mind is that you do not want to add more than one pound of N per month at a time to an existing lawn. Also too much N in a seed bed is not beneficial to seedlings and can kill germenating seeds
Thirdly, N and P leach pretty quickly, so adding more than the plant can use before they leach out is both a waste of money and bad for the enviorment.

Maybe there are some soil test readers here, If not, I'd suggest you re-do the test with Logan Labs and pay for them to make recommendations.

Just my two cents.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™