Honeydew on Tree Philodendron

nydepot(6)December 19, 2011

I have some leaves on a tree philodendron that have small yellow dots on the leave and underneath where the dot is there is a tiny (really tiny) drop of honeydew.

I'm used to looking for mealybugs or scale and see none of these things. Just the droplets of honeydew.

Any ideas what I should be looking for? THanks,

Charles

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If in fact there are no insects to look to as the source, the next logical consideration would probably be 'guttation'.

Al

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 9:07PM
dellis326 (Danny)

Yeah, Probably just guttation. Some plants do that. Philos do it a lot. If the "water drops" are a little sticky when rubbed on your hand it's a good bet. Usually clear but it can be tinted.

Read the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Guttation explained

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 9:26PM
goren

Aside from the plant itself exuding moisture from the leaves one should keep a vigil to see if indeed a bug is hidng.
You're right in assuming a possible infestation of scale insects or mealybugs--both produce honeydew and can be detected sometimes by the shininess of leaves. The scale insects are hard to see on fronds because they resemble spores.
Nonetheless, plants can be given a mild solution of lime sulfur or dormant oil. Because the scale insect has a hard oyster shell-like body you can add to the solution a measure of rubbing alcohol which can eat through the shell.

Bookmark   December 20, 2011 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™