Is this poa annua or annula bluegrass?

lovethempokesApril 20, 2011

Hello, Could you folks tell me if this is poa annua or annual bluegrass that is invading my tif 419 (see link at bottom of post)?

If so, what is the best solution? It is thriving and going to seed even though I'm using a reel at .5". It's coming from my neighbor's lawn even though I follow a regular pre/post emergent schedule. I'm afraid his bagless rider is continually shooting it over to my yard. I'm not above a scorched earth policy of a general herbicide but would like to avoid it if possible. Also, I will gladly hand pull all patches if a preemergent would prevent any seeds for germinating. Please educate me.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: one tough weed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texas-weed(7A)

Yes it is poa. Too late to do anything now except wait for Mother Nature to turn on the heat and kill it off. If the future us pre-emergence.

There are a number of herbicides that will kill it, but just wait for warm weather.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 7:02PM
nearandwest(7)

That is Poa annua and annual bluegrass...they are two different names for the same weed species. Post-emergence control can be accomplished with Sencor herbicide (Metribuzin) 75% a.i. when Tifway 419 bermudagrass is actively growing. In late summer (mid August), a single full-rate application of Barricade herbicide should provide annual bluegrass control for the following 6-7 months, at which time your spring pre-emerge application will be due. This is all assuming you do not overseed in the fall with a cool-season grass.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 7:41PM
wrager(Z5 OH)

I used pre-m and I'm still getting those clumps of POA. Now I know why my app of weed-b-gone max didn't phase it.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 8:32AM
andy10917(NY 6a)

When are you applying the Pre-M? Pre-M to prevent Poa is done in early September, not in the Spring like for Crabgrass.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 8:48AM
lovethempokes

thanks to TW, nearandwest & andy. Andy, that's my problem. I apply it in the spring as I spot spray all fall and winter weeds with a general post-m (roundup) once the grass is dormant.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:47PM
texas-weed(7A)

Pre-Emergence if used is a year round project. I recommend using a product called AMAZE 3 times a year (Assuming a warm season grass) for year round protection. As you will find out using Post-Emergence to control weeds is futile. Like the ole saying goes; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It is better to get ahead of the weeds.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:57PM
auteck

You can use Sulfentrazone (active ingredient) for post emergent control, but if you do nothing, it will die anyway because it is annual and can't handle the heat and drought.

If you have a bermuda lawn, be careful spraying anything on it while it is transsitioning from dormant to active because it is very sensitive to herbicides during that period - same applies in the Fall.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 10:07PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Texas weed - Are you saying that Dimension doesn't work? I'll have to pass it onto neighbors that is having trouble with annua poa.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™