Bermuda Grass: Short or Long?

sgrammerApril 26, 2013

I have a full Bermuda lawn. I've done some research about trying to get rid of and prevent weeds and read that I should keep my grass long to block as much sunlight reaching down to weed seedlings as possible (among other benefits of long grass). However, I also read that Bermuda prefers to be short.

Which should I do? Should I cut it short (2" or less) or let it grow to 3"? Is there any harm in letting Bermuda grow long?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rager_w

Do you know if you have hybrid (sod) or common Bermuda? Either way, especially if it is hybrid, cutting it short encourages lateral growth. That will help choke out weeds. I keep my front turf at roughly 7/8" and cut it with a reel mower. I have common in the back that I cut at 1.25" with a tractor.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:21PM
sgrammer

They put down sod when we built the house. So, I should cut it roughly putting green/fairway length?

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:26PM
texas-weed(7A)

2 inches is not short for Bermuda, that is extremely tall.

While it may be a general rules to grow grass tall to control weeds, does not apply to Bermuda or Zoysia.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:17PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

I cut mine at 1.5" with rotary mower. It is not possible to go lower due to uneven ground. I'd have to go all the trouble to smooth it out by bringing in sharp sand and hauling chain link around. Probably not worth it if my trees end up being 20-25 ft tall in 5 years which means less sun and I'd end up having to get partial shade tolerance grass like zoysia. I'd get st aug but it is not allowed unfortunately.

Look for Texas Weed's Bermuda Bible. It will explain everything on how to care for bermuda lawn if you want it to look good. It's pretty hard to keep weeds out of bermuda without pre-emergent weed control. You may have to spot weed kill occasionally. I have weeds everywhere already. Oh well.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Revitalizing and leveling sad lawn
I have a lawn in Northern California that is pretty...
jhalt
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™