Newly planted Zoysia sod - Questions

jdub21April 23, 2012

I laid 5 pallets of Palisades Zoysia sod 2 weeks ago. The grass is green and roots are taking quickly. When i got this sod, it smelled like manure so i am very confident it was well fertilized.

I did not have enough sod so I got 2 more pallets from a different company and laid it a week later. It has been down a week but looks nothing close to the other sod I laid as far as color. The roots are not taking as quickly as the other sod I laid and the grass color is "lime" green. When I got this sod, it looked a little dried out, it came back to life after i got some water on it but still not doing as good as the other sod.

The second batch of sod seems like it is still dormant. Anything i can do to speed things up, get it to green up? Can i put down a fertilzer that will help it? I've read to wait until the roots take but i am a little impatient and hate that one part of my yard is green and the other is lime green.

I'm just looking for any advice to help the sod out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Did you take delivery of the sod and then lay it a week later or did you put it down the day you received it? Makes a big difference. It could have gone dormant (if you are lucky) or it could have died from smothering in that time.

Zoysia is the most tricky of all the turf grasses. It might go dormant early in the summer and remain dormant no matter what you do until the following spring.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 7:29PM
jdub21

I took delivery of the sod and laid it the same day. I can't imagine the sod going dormant in the summer. The other sod I laid is doing good.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 9:46PM
texas-weed(7A)

If it was dried out, it will go dormant. It is a self defense mechanism both Zoysia and Bermuda grass share.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 7:47PM
jdub21

Hmmmmmmm. Yea, it was a bit dry, especially compared to the sod i got a week earlier. So, any idea when it will come out of dormancy? Anything special i need to do or just continue to water and wait?

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™