Let grow or replace?

rboone7760April 17, 2014

I have two questions.

I spilled some concentrated lawn weed killer on a small area on my lawn. The grass has turned straw like, is the grass dead and should be reseeded or should the grass come back?
We had a cold snap in NC for the last two nignts. I covered my tomato plants with plastic pots but some turned dark, they are still standing. Should these plants come back or should I go ahead and replant?
Thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andy10917(NY 6a)

If you spilled weed killer concentrate, the spots it hit are probably dead. That is many, many times the concentration they can handle.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 7:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JonCraig(6b)

What chemical? If it's Glycophosphate (Round Up), then yes, the grass is gone, and according to the label you should wait 7 days for the residual herbicide to decay before seeding.

If it was a 3-way or similar (2,4-D + MCCP, etc.) you're looking at more like 3 weeks.

For the tomatoes⦠for me, it would depend on how many plants you're talking about. If it's a couple, I'd go ahead and replace just to be safe; plants are cheap. If you're talking 20⦠maybe that's a different story.

Around here tomato plants don't do much growing anyway when nighttime temps are still below 55 or so. In my garden, they don't go in the ground 'til the lettuce bolts. :-)

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™