annual bluegrass - want to kill it now!

madaboutmylawnApril 24, 2008

Okay -- so, I've lived in Georgia for 8 years now, and have lived in this home for 4 years. The Bermuda was a lucious dark green for the first 3 years. Then, as all Georgians know, came the great drought of 2007. My Bermuda was in shambles last summer (2007). Watering restrictions put the slam-bang on our lawns here. I applied a pre-emergent in mid-October, 2007, but low and behold, this year the nasty annual bluegrass took over. I know it's too late to apply another pre-emergent, and I surely don't want to kill off my turf with more drastic measures. I've searched the web for hope -- to no avail. Everything I read tells me that I am a full year out of regaining control. Do I have any hope left for this year's Bermuda turf? What can I do to kill the nasty bluegrass, without damaging the good turf?

Please...any new and wonderful ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

Certainty herbicide is listed to *control* annual bluegrass, but I don't know what it does to Bermuda.

Other than that...well, I have some Certainty but used Round Up on those particular patches. Control doesn't mean kill, Round Up kills it dead.

Hopefully you'll have a summer with enough water or be able to irrigate. Feed that Bermuda well and it should knit closed in nothing flat, if our other Bermuda experts here are any guide.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 8:39PM
madaboutmylawn

Thanks for the the post response. That's the plan I had in mind for this summer -- treat it like a golf course; feed and water until it grows to fill the voids. I even thought about my buddy down the road (www.callahangolflinks.com) -- maybe he has some healthy tips, or some of that 'good stuff' they use. I just finished dropping the ole' John Deere to the lowest setting and whacked the top off the bluegrass. The Bermuda is just starting to sprig up pretty good, so maybe this "madaboutmylawn", chopping-it-down measure will give the Bermuda a fighting chance. Hopefully, we'll maintain the current levels of rainfall here and next year will be better.

I'll check out the Certainty at my local lawn care center.

Thanks again,
Mad-

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 9:26PM
texas_weed(7A)

There is no post emergence control for Poa except for Glyphosate aka Round Up which will kill the Bermuda. It will disappear with hot summer temperatures. Annual species develops from germinating seeds left over from previous year growth. Annual bluegrass can adapt to all cutting heights. The seedhead will also develop under all cutting heights. Annual bluegrass excels with high fertility and irrigation.

The only control is pre-emergence applied in fall, winter, and early spring.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 10:39PM
m1shmosh

Prograss (ethofumesate) has pre- and post- emergent control of poa annua. You can use it on Bermuda when dormant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prograss

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 11:16PM
bestlawn(6)

I just finished dropping the ole' John Deere to the lowest setting and whacked the top off the bluegrass.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Your Poa is laughing harder than I am.
Okay, enough teasing you because I know how you feel. Just know there is no such thing as whacking it.

In addition to TW's pre-m application schedule, try making the winter and spring applications with an herbicide that contains ethofumesate. They say it has an early post-m affect so if there's any chance of it getting past the pre-m, then maybe you can catch some of the early growth. Of course, you'll have to find out if ethofumesate can be applied to bermudagrass.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 11:22PM
bestlawn(6)

Didn't see you there, Subywu.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 11:24PM
texas_weed(7A)

Um Round Up works well on Dormant Bermuda and will knock Poa on its butt.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 11:46PM
m1shmosh

Um Round Up will also knock overseeded rye on its butt.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 7:50AM
rotodarian

first, let me say good luck.

secondly, if you can somehow get a hold of it, Tenacity has been showing some good promise in current research. it's chemical, in case you care, is mesotrione.

again, good luck. ;)

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 2:52PM
bshudson(SE Texas)

How about MSMA? Will that work?

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 3:23PM
soccer_dad

Its a bit harsh, but I am using a propane torch this year to singe the seeds before cutting. While I've turned a good deal of my TTTF yard into brown spots with bad technique it is starting to green back up and the seed heads are much diminished.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 9:25PM
auteck

"HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Your Poa is laughing harder than I am.
Okay, enough teasing you because I know how you feel. Just know there is no such thing as whacking it."

I couldn't agree more with this... We have POA in some of our putting greens that get mowed down to 3/16 of inch and POA is bright green.

POA is a nasty weed, and aside from round up, there's nothing that can kill it without hurting the desired grass.

I think control is the right word, unless you're willing to kill the desired grass.

Good luck.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 10:45AM
madaboutmylawn

Great posts -- thanks all. Yeah...I whacked it alright! That was more for my benefit than the lawn. Of course, by whacking to the stems, it did open up some sunlight to the reach (what remains of) the good turf underneath. It looks like a long, hard summer ahead. You can bet I'll find a better pre-emergent this year!

Three suggestions on this post response: Certainty, ethofumesate?, and Tenacity (mesotrione). I like the names. ;-)
I appreciate the propane torch, but that seems to be in the same category as 'whacking' it, which was my preferred pissed-off method of gaining revenge. Of course, death-by-fire may be a bit more personal, because you get to smell the destruction as well. Ha!

I can appreciate a good sense of humor, too.

Thanks again...
Mad'

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 7:11PM
bogey123

I hadn't thought to try the propane torch on the seed heads. I use my torch on the japaneese beatles that attack my roses every summer. Its a bit smelly but very satisfying.

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Convert lawn full of old dog feces to normal lawn
Hello, I would love some advice on trying to get a...
jillian242424
how to take care my new sod lawn?
I moved into my new house in north Texas this Feb....
leooel14
What type of weed is this?
Having trouble getting rid of this weed. Does anyone...
mikest00
Caring for new sod in Vancouver, BC
Hi, I just have new sod installed a month ago. They...
Arthaith Swan
Poor Drainage Area - Ideas?
All of you seem to come up with such good solutions...
BirkdaleSteve
Sponsored Products
Crosley Natural Wood Top Wine Cart - KF31001EBK
$449.00 | Hayneedle
GSI by Nameeks City Toilet - GSI MCITY1711
$668.91 | Hayneedle
Carpet Samples: Martha Stewart Living Flooring Burghley Wrought Iron - 6 in. x
$4.85 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Jute Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$59.00 | Home Depot
FreePad New Maroon Craft Patter Antiqued 6'x9' Hand Knotted Wool Heriz Rug H4036
BH Sun Inc
Ball Pit Balls - 01470
$22.46 | Hayneedle
Blue Star Group Dining Furniture TERRACE MATES Caleo Standard 5-Piece Patio
Home Depot
Virtu USA Bathroom Dior 32 in. Vanity in Zebra Grey with Pure Stone Vanity Top
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™