Bermuda not growing in the shade

Sherm1082April 26, 2014

Hello everyone. I have a part of my lawn that does not grow grass well due to the fence blocking the sun. My bermuda is still waking up but you can clearly see the definitive line of where my grass just isn't growing as well. Any green you see near the fence is weeds. If I'm not mistaken, as the temperatures heat up, that part of the grass will start to do better but it obviously isn't getting enough sun. What are my options to fill it in? I definitely do not want to have put down any sod so I am really looking and seeding options. Any info as far as timing goes would be appreciated as well as info regarding where to get the seed. Thanks in advance for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sandhills_NC(7b)

I'm still new to bermudagrass (my sodded front yard is only 2 years old), but from what I understand, no bermuda grass does great in the shade, and growing bermuda from seed in the shade is nearly impossible. I've been able to move chunks of grass around to fill dead spots with some success, but you have to have grass somewhere else to pull from. If the rest of the grass is growing well, I would think it might slowly spread and fill in, but for faster results you'd probably have to buy sod. Just my opinion, let us know what you do and how it turns out!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 9:37PM
Sherm1082

Thanks for the response. Like you said, Bermuda doesn't do well in the shade and I am fully aware of that. With that being said, what can I put in the shady spots? I heard zoysia is good or I don't know if I should just try a fescue.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 11:49PM
Kluttery

I wouldn't attempt to plant any grass that close to the fence. Aside from the shade issue, it seems too difficult to cut. Why not mulch the area? You can either use the area for a flower bed or simply leave it as a mulched border.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 8:01PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Every variety of zoysia except 1 (maybe 2) is a full sun grass. Also zoysia is much more prone to problems than the advertising leads you to believe.

Think in terms of flower beds or a ground cover that works in your climate. Where do you live?

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:34PM
lazy_gardens

"What are my options to fill it in?"

A flower bed and shrubs, with shade and part-shade species?

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 8:29AM
Sherm1082

dchall, I live in the Raleigh, NC area.

Thanks all for the response. I will take that into consideration. Maybe I will just do one big mulch area/flower bed around my entire back yard bordering the fence. Hmmmmm........I have to think about that.

Also, check out my other thread about a weed identification if you think you can be of help. Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™