little white bugs flying up when I walk in grass

northtexasApril 28, 2009

Well, something terrible happened today. I was walking out in the bermuda grass I have in north Texas and little white flying bugs would fly up when I stepped in the grass. This occurred over the entire lawn while I was walking. They were very small but I couldn't get one to be still long enough to get a good look or a picture. Any idea what these could possibly be and what I should do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texas-weed(7A)

They are harmless gnats.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 10:39PM
northtexas

Hmmmm, didn't look like any gnats I have ever seen. I am afraid they may be a sod webworm moth. They were tan all over and very small.

http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/so-id/entomology/Lawn/aswwm.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 8:07PM
texas-weed(7A)

Well please understand I am making an educated guess over the net. If that is what you have well...

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 8:58PM
northtexas

Oh I am not doubting your knowledge at all. After all I have started following your bermuda bible this season. Should I buy an insecticide and get to spraying? ABC pest control treats our house for insects and they are coming by Monday to have a look.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 10:02PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

ABC will find some problem to sell you a solution for. I've had little white flying things in my lawn for decades. I have ignored them successfully.

After reading this forum for many years, sod webworm is near the bottom of the list of actual problems. It is even below dog barf fungus. Based on the probabilities, I'm going with the harmless gnats hypothesis.

If you are one of the few people who allow paper wasps to live under your eaves, then you will never see sod webworms. Webworms are prime chow for paper wasps.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™