Aeration and top-dressing: help needed!
Hi, folks! First of all, I LOVE GARDENWEB! This site has been so informative and I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge so freely. This is what makes the Internet great!
Anyway, I've spent the past few hours reading several threads about top-dressing. First off, some facts about my lawn as it currently stands:
- Bermudagrass (Tifway 419) sodded September of last year
- Approx. 4000 sq ft
- Grass is very green but has a lot of white dormant/dead grass beneath the surface left over from last year
Here is what I plan on doing:
- Aeration (rake plugs)
- Top-dress with 50/50 builder's sand/peat moss mix (so-called "pro mix")
- Even though my grass is vigorously growing and I recently fertilized, should I scalp it anyway before aerating?
- I've read that organic matter in top-dressing material isn't wise because it just disappears after awhile. Is peat moss the correct material for the 50% that's not sand?
- Can anyone recommend a good company in the Austin/Round Rock area for selling me this 50/50 mix?
- When I buy the sand and it's delivered, I assume they're just going to dump it in my driveway as a gigantic pile. Sound right?
Thanks for any advice, folks! Happy Spring!