Fern rescue help

sarah_thompsonDecember 13, 2012

This fern was photographed on it's bad side, there is great gorgeous full growth on it's other side. It's a variegated variety of fluffy nepholepis it seems. I rescued this by yanking it out of the dirt before maintenance staff carted the pot to the landfill. As you can see, there's a huge patch dead stalks, and there isn't much of a root ball. What do I do??? I'm not sure how to go about getting rid of that dead patch. And it's bone-dry, the fronds are feeling delicate. Can I use "tropical" or "cactus" or "black" soil? I don't have any other soil mixing ingredients on hand, and it'll be 24hrs before I can get some... what should I do with it until then? Trying to salvage this beautiful plant!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

My neighbor gave me some ferns that looked like that last summer. They didn't all get potted right away and are doing great now. The dead patch, you just have to start picking at the dead bits and pulling them off. Getting rid of that will make the rest look better. Some may need to be snipped so you don't tear the whole thing apart. As it grows new fronds, you can cut the old ugly ones off. Lots of potential, I would have rescued it too.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 7:31

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 6:46AM
More Discussions
Can this Dracaena be Saved?
This long neglected Dracaena has been growing sideways,...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Fiddle Leaf Fig Trunk Help
Hi, I recently purchased a Fiddle Leaf Fig and it’s...
Donnie
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Low-e Windows Effect on Plants
We have lots of house plants. We wish to install energy...
peter_poet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™