Waterfalls using a recycled patio table top

a.girl.named.max(4a)July 30, 2013

Hopefully this isn't a repeat of a posting I tried earlier.

I would LOVE to know how to make this waterfall out of a recycled glass patio table top. I would start with a bistro size table top.

Has any made one of these waterfalls or know how to make one?

My drill press and I are chomping on the bit. (Pun intendeda.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a.girl.named.max(4a)

Hopefully the waterfall pictures shows up this time.

@#%*@

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 8:34AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I would think you need to dig a hole, put rubber liner in, put a grate over, cover with rocks, and take a table and create a stand for it, and wrap a clear hose around the table that you have punctured holes in and hook up a pump to it! I just cast some cement leaves(rhubarb), and will be making a fountain too!

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:40AM
diggery(z8)

Looks like a basic disappearing water feature. A water reservoir is sunk in the ground. Any container will do as long as it's water tight as it won't be visible. It needs to large enough in circumference to catch the flow of water from the glass.

Measure copper tubing to fit & drill pinholes along the length which will be the top portion when assembled. Place a fountain pump in the water basin & run the tubing into the copper tubing. Hard to tell how the glass is secured to the tubing - looks like there may be tabs (?) of some sort around the perimeter - or how it's secured upright but that's the basics.

When I get a chance, I see if I can find you a link for specifics on the fountain part if you need it or you can just google 'disappearing water feature'. NOTE: you will need to add water to the basin occasionally as it evaporates & you'll need good flow around the pump.

Hope this helps. I'm sure with your talents you'll figure out the securing part. Good luck!

blessings,
~digger

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:19AM
diggery(z8)

Oh yeah, the grate is important. Leave it to calamity to never miss a detail! (this is why I don't do tutorials - I always manage to leave out an important step, lol)

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:37AM
Marlene Kindred

Very cool! Hope you get to build yours!

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 7:16PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

That's beautiful. Good luck and post a pic when you make yours!
Kathy

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 7:34PM
frankielynnsie(7B)

Beautiful! I wonder if the glass builds up green algae or if they keep some bleach in the water.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 1:35PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
one important feature is be sure you have an easy way
to access the pump and check the water level. They clog over time and the pump will burnout if dry Moving water evaporates at 3/4 times the rate of standing water
In your zone would probably be a good idea to remove the pump during winter?? gary

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 5:26AM
cadillactaste

That is beautiful! Definitely share photos of your finished project...great inspiration to go on...as to reservoir maybe a kiddie pool? Cheap if it would work.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 3:34PM
rosiew

I built a disappearing water feature, which I enjoy a lot. A tip: use a wet-dry Shop Vac with the paper filter removed to empty the reservoir as needed. Mine gets some gunk in it from little leaves/etc.

Love the idea of using a pebbled table top. May do that out front. Thanks for the great idea.

Rosie

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 6:21AM
bootscootengal

use my shop vac to empty my 3 tiered(?) birdbath. then I can dump it on my plants. never waste water in texas.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 2:43PM
cadillactaste

Bootscootengal...we just got back from a mission trip in Honduras...they shut the water off to the village. It comes on every two days for a few hours. So...it makes me appreciate water conservation. May even do a rain barrel. Because we now understand what it is like to not have water. So good of you to find another purpose for the water removed from the birdbath. Kudos!

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 8:45AM
bootscootengal

I save the water from everything. ran a pvc line fron my central air and collect the "water" from the air conditioner. I get about 40 gals a day on average day. I lov my plants so I have to have a way to water without feeling like I am wasting water. also collect the water when I am waiting for it to get hot. fill dog bowls and water plants inside.there r lots of ways to save if ya just stop and think of them.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 11:03AM
a.girl.named.max(4a)

Finding the right table top at the right price is proving to be more challenging than I thought. The table tops I've found are either too big, or they're not round or they have clear glass, or have a hole in the middle for an umbrella. Oh well, I have lots of other projects to work on until just the right table top shows up.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:38AM
garden2garden(z8 FL)

When I read the title I fully expected the waterfall to be horizontal. I pictured tabletops layed flat like steps with water running from one to the other . This is totally awesome. Hope you find your tabletop max.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:17AM
sorie6(6b ok.)

Super idea! Have you tried Craigslist for tables? Good luck.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 7:27AM
sorie6(6b ok.)

Super idea! Have you tried Craigslist for tables? Good luck.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 7:28AM
nonacook(8bFL)

This is the first time I have seen a round glass
used. I had wanted to do one with a glass
shower door. Have the shower doors, but have
not done anything with them....
I love the round one!!!!

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 7:22AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX(8b)

I would go with one that has the whole in the middle for umbrellas, then find a beautiful glass globe or something decorative and mount it to the table over the hole using the GE silicone ll, I think it could be even prettier than the plain one. It would also affect the water falling around it. Even a really pretty flat rock might work.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:59PM
nonacook(8bFL)

Just posted today on the following site-

Kiru.org

September under 'archives' on the right hand side
of the blog-posted today, September 3

Gives instructions and photos of the fountain.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 10:16AM
nanatricia

Here is the lady who did this

http://networkedblogs.com/OG0u2

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 1:05PM
nanatricia

Here is the lady who did this

http://networkedblogs.com/OG0u2

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 1:07PM
a.girl.named.max(4a)

Thanks so much nanatricia for finding the instructions. I've been checking craigs list and still haven't found the right round table at the right price. I like the ripple in the glass.

Ravencajun, thanks for the suggestion about putting something in the middle to cover up the hole.

I'm back in school taking three more classes and working PT plus fall is here so that means lots of gardening, lawn work, and raking .... Sigh. Maybe next spring.

I am so thrilled to have the instructions. Thanks again

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 2:39PM
a.girl.named.max(4a)

Thanks so much nanatricia for finding the instructions. I've been checking craigs list and still haven't found the right round table at the right price. I like the ripple in the glass.

Ravencajun, thanks for the suggestion about putting something in the middle to cover up the hole.

I'm back in school taking three more classes and working PT plus fall is here so that means lots of gardening, lawn work, and raking .... Sigh. Maybe next spring.

I am so thrilled to have the instructions. Thanks again

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 2:43PM
pamelagrace(7b Raleigh NC)

It's snowing outside and I'm browsing. So glad to have found this and thankful that my dear hubby has saved some nice glass table tops over the last few years. Since being a welder he's made some nice tables, now he'll have to try something new.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Glass Totems at Longwood Garden
I was amazed to see several glass totem bird baths...
frankielynnsie
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™