mower battery charger on timer ?

andre_7(7 Canada, 5 USA)January 11, 2013

I am leaving for Florida tomorrow and I need to know the following before I leave:

I will bring the lawnmower in the house to keep it from freezing. But it will be sitting there for 4 months with no recharge.

I believe the battery is lead acid. The manufacturer recommends a recharge every three weeks. I cannot do that.

Instead, I was thinking of connecting the charger to a timer and to recharge the battery at the rate of one hour a day for 4 months. Is there a safety issue here?

Does that make sense ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Well, that depends on how confident you are in your charger and timer. I use both the Battery Minder and Battery Tender Jr's in my world and have confidence in them both. Failures could be costly however. I would not have the same confidence in my standard chargers, but does that mean that my confidence in the others is misplaced- I dunno.
If I were leaving for the winter, I think the best piece of mind would be to leave it unplugged. The battery should be fine anyways. If your battery isn't nurtured to its fullest and it dies a year sooner- you aren't out much.

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 2:53PM
bill_kapaun

You didn't mention any brand etc. so that leaves some doubt as to proper procedure for YOUR mower.

I seem to have read about some types that recharging is only for a gas engine with electric starter.
IF you aren't starting it, you really don't need to recharge it.

Personally, I would just charge it up and then leave it.
I wouldn't leave a potential fire hazard plugged in.
Peace of mind is worth a battery potentially going bad IMO.

Else can you store it at a neighbors and have them tend to it, IF it's a different system?

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 2:58PM
rcmoser

Bring the lawnmower in the house? How about just the battery? If it's that important I would remove it from the lawnmower, charge it up and leave it in cool dry area on concrete or wood to protect the floor in case it leaked alittle.

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
New Toro Push Mower?
I am looking to replace an 11 year old Toro Recycler,...
seashells18
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™