Help Centipede Grass.

wjason777April 19, 2014

My centipede grass is not turning green in all the areas. This is my second season of having centipede grass. Last year it was very thick and I always cut it about 2in and never bagged the clippings. I'm noticing in some areas that where the rain water and water from the irrigation system that doesn't drain right away that the grass is completely dead under the thatch. Its pretty much like that the for the whole yard. Under the heavy thatch its nothing there but dead grass.

Do you guys think I should rent a dethatcher and detach the lawn, then aerate the lawn and over seed it with centipede seeds? Or just dethatch the lawn.
Any suggestions would help.
thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

What you're suggesting won't do anything to cure the problem. The problem is your lawn is too low and allowing water to drain to the center. It needs to drain to the curb. You need more soil. And I don't say that lightly. In 10 years on this forum I can say I can't remember ever saying that and today there are two of you. Soggy lawns are the result of not crowning the landscape at the beginning. More soil will fix that. Get a landscaper involved. They are professionals at getting the drainage right. Let him get everything right and reseed or resod for you.

And why do you have centipede instead of St Augustine? Is your soil too acidic for St Aug?

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™