St. Augustine Grass didn't fully return and what did is yellow

dlwoodsApril 29, 2014

I live in the DFW area of TX. Last summer we had thick, green St. Augustine in our front yard. This year some has returned but bermuda has mainly filled the yard. Not many weeds, just not a lot of St. Augustine. What is there is yellow in places. I try to water and fertilize and mow at a high setting.

There does seem to be a thick layer of last year's grass (brown) and we had a abnormally long, cold winter.

I am new to St. Augustine grass. Was there something I should have done with the thatch last year to bring back the green, thick grass this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

NEVER dethatch St Augustine unless you want to plant something new. Dethatchers will simply remove the entire lawn.

How often are you watering and for how long?
When were the last two times you fertilized and what did you use?

Your long cold winter is likely the problem. Now, how to recover? Answer the questions and we can get you on track.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheDumbEnd

I am going to hijack this a bit. I also am in the dfw area with same issue. there is growth but seems to be quite a bit of dormant/dead layer still there. should i go out there and try and rake up the dead/dormant stuff? putting down about 1" of water per sprinkler cycle every 5 to 7 days. used the calloways lawn food in early april when first started greening up. put 17 lbs down in approximately 2500 sf. those number might be a little off but i used the texag extension publications to calculate the amount. might have been a little soon

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™