Barnwood Bloom Butterfly Flower

jeannespinesJuly 20, 2010

Some of you know that I love recycling barn wood & since I don't have a big board fence I use old barn doors & wood. Here's another "Barnwood Bloom" I made this past week:

The flower is an old fan blade of some sort that I spray painted a couple shades...& the center is a cookie cutter blade...added some nails. The stem is an old curtain rod I flattened with hammer & screwed into place. And the leaves are a brass "butterfly" from GS'ing...I like to use them on my "Barnwood Blooms."

Added a couple eyehooks on back & wire...so can be hung or free-standing against a bldg. or something. Here's the full view in front of a tree:

Sometimes I take these to Farmer's Mrkt & other times they end up in my garden...so we shall see! I love old barnwood! My DH helps me find supplies, too! Jeanne S.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkus(5a)

Jeanne, Oh my gosh, you never cease to amaze me! That is BEAUTIFUL, CREATIVE, and IMAGINATIVE!!!! If I were at your Farmer's Market, I would buy you out! TFS!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

P.S. I still have a door arbor on my list of to-do's...inspired by you and your hubby!

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 10:46PM
bverste(zone 5)

Jeanne, I only wish I could see the beauty in "trash", like you. It is beautiful

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 11:22PM
Marlene Kindred

I'm standing and clapping here! LOVE the new bloom Jeanne! Turned out beautifully!

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 12:09AM
sunnyca_gw

Beautiful!! That is a fabulous butterfly!! The fan blade made a great flower. Then you added your magic & another Barnwood bloom was born!! I'd have to keep that 1 as the butterfly is so beautiful! Jan

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 12:20AM
luna_llena_feliz

I've got the butterfly, now I just need the fan blades, barnwood and curtain rod. lol! Wonderful creation as always!

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 1:16AM
Purplemoon

That is wonderful, Jeanne. Tho not surprising coming from you. Part of me wishes I could be at your Farmers Market when you sell stuff, and part of me is glad I'm not. LOL.
Everything you do, inside and out, I LOVE. You are so creative and talented.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 1:26AM
luvs2click

Another great piece of work, Jeanne! Loving it! TFS
Arlene

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 7:38AM
shrillmtb

Ooohh, I love that flower, and the character of the barnwood sets it off to perfection! Nice idea!

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 9:50AM
misfit

Amazing.............boy do I have talent envy!

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 10:26AM
excessfroufrou(7)

Another rustic piece of lovely art, it doesn't surprise me in the least. I love the curtain rod stem, now that's showing some out of the box thinking. I have the hardest time envisioning things like this, made from metal parts,but give some glass and sparkle and I'm off and running. Your things are always inspiring.
Frou

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 11:50AM
doodys(9)

Know one shouldn't covet but can't help it.That's a unique flower project.Could you tell me what the fan blade came off of..Doesn't look like a typical fan blade I have ever seen.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 1:45PM
dulcimerduo

Oh, I love that! Running to drag the old curtain rod out of the trash.... also taking the blades off an old fan I was going to toss out..... dragging around the house an old door that was on the woodpile....

Oh yea, very well done!

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 4:34PM
jeannespines

Appreciate your comments, GJers!

I don't know what the fan blade (that's what I call it) was in it's former life...I think I got it at flea market last yr when ya get to plow thru tons of $1 junk!

Barnwood certainly has it's own personality & it seems to hold up for a long time out in the elements! This Barnwood Bloom is not stained or any finished...just old barnwood that I sanded down. Sometimes I put a finish on them like I did this pic below from last yr...it sold:

Thanks again! Jeanne s.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 10:23PM
smickerdoodle

Those are both awsome. You are so creative and if I were at your farmer's market, Kirk would have to fight me for your stuff! Keep it coming. You are so inspiring to me.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 10:50PM
nanagrandma(9 SouthWest, Calif)

Jeanne, you are amazing!!!
Love looking at all your creations, your photos, your pines, etc. etc.
Gosh how do you get all that talent,
yep, I am envious too.

Nanagrandma/Sylvia

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 2:09AM
mmebrady

you are so very talented! I love what you have done!

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 10:09AM
luvstocraft

Wonderful creations, Jeanne, I love both of them. What a great way to repurpose odd pieces of metal and get to enjoy the beauty of the old barnwood at the same time. Luvs

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™