Self Propelled suggestions

kcinnickMarch 28, 2010

We are moving to a new house with a half acre lot. It is not big enough for a riding mower but I really don't want to push it with my current mower (a yardman w/a Honda motor) especially in Louisianan Heat. I was looking at two mowers at home Depot by Honda. Was was an HRR series with a 160CC motor for $499 and the other was an HRX with a 190CC motor for $599. The HRX also had a 5+1 year warranty which seems like an eternity these days on any product. The HRR seemed to have more features and I was wondering if the HRX is a big enough step up in quality to justify the extra $100 and fewer features?

I am also open to other suggestions from other makers, I do not want a cheap machine, I have learned to buy once an cry once.

Thanks,

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

The HRR is a lower priced mower and while good, is not in the same league as the HRX. The latter has more power and the transmission is a treat. The BBC is also more durable and the deck will never rust which is likely an issue in your climate.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 12:49PM
hardin(7 SE OK)

Check out the Snapper line. They have walk-behind models (self-propelled). I've had mine for over 13 years. I have both the riding mower and the walk-behind. I love them both. Will definitely be buying again if they ever quit on me.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 10:08PM
kcinnick

I think I am going with the base hrr with smart drive. After weighing the pros-cons I can buy two hrr's for the hrx. I am sure the hrx is a better machine, it is just not needed for my lawn.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 11:10PM
roadbike

Check the Toro Super Recycler line.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Tru-cut Reel Clutch Adjustment
I've owned this guy since new (1979). Beyond normal...
runner70
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™