Question about totems

katie_in(zone 5b IN)July 19, 2010

How do you keep the rain from going down the spout?

And how do you keep the big ones from falling over?

Maybe already been asked and replied to but couldn't find - Sorry :0)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandma_cindy(5)

The spout would have to be sealed, but as I've not done any teapots, I'll leave that to someone else.

The bigger the totem, the bigger the base should be. But remember you do have to protect them from wind, either in a protected spot or bring them in during storms. Some of the ladies that make the *really* tall ones place a rod thru the center of everything. That involves drilling, and I dont do drills! LOL

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 12:04AM
tbledsaw(5)

You can also use lamp parts for really large totems. That is what I did. Easy, cheesey that way. Put a large pipe down the center.

I am getting ready to do a teapot totem as well, so I will have new adventures in sealing, drilling, etc LOL

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 12:50AM
Marlene Kindred

I usually use a larger plate at the bottom of my tall totems...either a dinner plate or a clear glass plate. As for sealing the spouts of your teapots....a glass glob glued there will usually work and I have seen some that have glass stoppers glued in there too.

Can't wait to see your creations!

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 2:22PM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

I typically use a heavy, wide base to start with. My totems are not tall; I use them only in the spring when things are short. A couple have ended up top-heavy...my mistake when building...and I accidentally knocked one over & broke it in the closet during the winter. Oops.
This one is my sturdiest, and subsequently, my favorite. I try to stick the open ends down-ways, or else silicone the sh... out of it if I have to use it facing up:

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 2:52PM
grandma_cindy(5)

Oooooooo mmq - love that purple bottle! And the top piece is lovely!

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 11:35PM
luna_llena_feliz

mmq, beautiful totem! Love the purple ... it's so unusual.

katie_in, I'd seal the teapot spout with a glass glob or just a slobber of GEII to fill the opening. As for the heavy base, people have used the glass plates from microwaves or big punch bowls. And just be careful how you position your pieces. If you don't have enough plates or flat pieces in between, the slightest wind or nudge could easily knock over your totem.

I like the totems that are built on the bottom of a bud vase turned upside down on a piece of pipe stuck into the ground. They are made up of only a few pieces but the pipe helps them stick up over the flowers, giving them the illusion of greater height.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™