Need help choosing mower

eds72March 20, 2010

I've done quite a bit of reading tonight and am still uncertain - looking for some advice.

I live in the Northwest where our grass tends to be pretty thick, and between work and kids with countless activities I just can't mow with enough regularity to make mulching a realistic option. I currently have a 5 or so year old Toro Recycler and I hate it. In fairness to the mower, it has been reliable - but it is the absolute worst when it comes to bagging - especially when the grass is wet. I am constantly having to shut it off and clear clogs. This is unfortunate because I have come to the conclusion that the #1 thing I need a mower to be good at is... bagging wet grass.

So what I am after is the absolute best bagger I can get my hands on. I don't give a rip if it mulches, side discharges, etc. - I just want maximum bagging performance. Self propel would be nice as my wife will sometimes handle the mowing duties if my schedule is too crazy. A model with a blade clutch would be a nice luxury but isn't necessary.

I'd prefer not to break the bank - If I can get something for What would folks recommend?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nod702(z7Tenn.)

I may be wrong, but i don't think any mower will bag wet grass with any consistancy. The grass clumps up too much.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 7:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Toro does have a super bagger now. The Super Recyclers will put about 20% less clippings in the bag a opposed to the standard baggers. What model Toro do you have? Snappers have always had incredible bagging capability. Know too that a BBC design may use valuable space under the deck. Look underside before you buy.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
Engine trouble! B&S 13.5hp
My old Heritage ride-on has a Briggs& Stratton...
Over_here
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™