What type of Grass or Weed is this?

ayo991May 18, 2012

I have some kind of grass or weed that is taking over my front lawn. I have tried several grass killers as well as nutsedge on it with no results. I have attached a link of my pictures. Any help would be great on what it is and how to kill it.

http://www.compaqhardware.com/grass/g1/grass.asp

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

It looks a lot like wild type tall fescue, not to be confused with turf type. Some close ups of the blades would help. Where are you located and what kind of grass do you have? Tall fescue can be killed with Round Up, but that will kill everything else around it unless you use the 2 glove method. If you have a warm season grass Certainty herbicide will selectively kill it (it also works in cool season grasses but it is much more prone to harming your good grass).

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 8:10AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Looks like my lawn in Dayton about 20 years before I started learning about lawns.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 5:49PM
janet400(6B)

Spray your lawn with Tenacity and it will kill only the unwanted grasses. See my post about bent grass for more info.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 9:07AM
tiemco

"Spray your lawn with Tenacity and it will kill only the unwanted grasses. See my post about bent grass for more info."

This is bad information for a few reasons. Tenacity will cause harm to most warm season grasses except St. Augustine and Centipede. The OP has yet to tell us what kind of lawn he has, and it's not obvious from the pics. Tenacity can kill some grassy weeds, but on others it has marginal effect. Without an ID you will be wasting time and money. If the weed he posted is tall fescue, then it won't be very effective unless you use a higher dose than recommended, which isn't recommended.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 12:07PM
jeffwul

That looks like that pasture/k31 fescue I had in my lawn. If it is that, I dug up the patches and reseeded. My neighbors say it was from 40 years ago when they first built the houses. You can still see some in my neighborhood.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Revitalizing and leveling sad lawn
I have a lawn in Northern California that is pretty...
jhalt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™