Clippings blowing into my face

hsvcara((Alabama - 7))March 19, 2010

I have a self-propelled walk-behind Craftsman that's a few years old. Normally, I just mulch mow so I don't have to deal with the catcher bag, but every spring I scalp my bermuda and bag the clippings. Trouble is, whenever I put the catcher bag on and start mowing, the clippings blow out through the crack between the bag and the plastic flap and I become covered with grass clippings.

My makeshift solution has been to put a cloth rag in the crack to fill it up, but that's getting old.

Any suggestions? Do the catcher bags normally warp? Should I try pounding the metal with a hammer?

Maybe I should just go buy some adhesive rubbery stuff and stick it on to seal the gap.

What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

I'm not sure I understand the setup. Please describe it in more detail. Is this a hard plastic "bag" that warped?

I'm confused because you were first talking about a gap between the bag and a plastic flap then you begin asking whether "the metal" should be pounded. Which metal.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 4:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

The adhesive rubbery stuff is the ticket AKA weatherstrip ;) You could look at the form of the frame. Sometimes they "sack out" from the weight of the grass and maybe a tweak here or there will create a better fit.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™