New Toro Recycler will not start

BlueskyesMarch 6, 2013

Just wondering if there is a quick fix before I have to take it in and then wait an untold amount of days before I get it back. As stated, it is a new Toro Recycler with the Kohler engine, cut the lawn 3 times, the 3rd time it took quite a few more pulls on the starter than the guaranteed 2 pulls, now, it will not start no matter how many pulls, BUT..it will start if I squirt a little bit of gas into the carb intake behind the filter, but, it only runs until that bit of gas is used up, then it dies...does this sound like something one of ya'll would know about? Thanks alot ahead of time for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

That condition is usually caused by fuel contamination or varnish inside the carb.

If this is your third use and all this happened within the last couple of months, I would suspect water or contamination in the bottom of your carburetor bowl. Drain that first and if you see anything unusual in the bowl, drain the entire tank and let everything dry out. You may have to remove the fuel bowl.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:34PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Also check the little air breather hole in the fuel cap. Sometimes, a little bug will lay an egg in there, and it will plug up the hole, which effectively shuts off the fuel from reaching the carb!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:54PM
1saxman

Since it's new, I vote for a blockage in the carb from something that was in the carb or fuel line all along. You can try something but it probably won't work - pick up the mower on the carb side about six inches and drop it a couple times. Otherwise somebody has to take the carb apart and see what's happening.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 5:11PM
MowersGalore

I would be surprised if it is anything else besides a blockage in the fuel

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 11:54PM
nydalken

I have a one year old mower self propelled easy start, I cant get mower to start, there is no primer easy start I pull and pull and pull nothing. last year pull one time easy and it started right up now nothing, need some help on what could be my problem.. oh it is a toro lawn mower

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 4:27PM
1saxman

Guys: these 4-cycle mowers now have lean fuel systems for lower emissions. This means smaller orifices in the carburetor. It only takes a little speck of matter or a little varnish build-up to shut them down. If you use a fuel stabilizer/cleaner like Sta-Bil (put it in your gas can before filling so it's always there) you can get better reliability. Otherwise learn to service the carburetor or pay to have it done. Your choice.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™