need help replacing primer bulb on craftsman push mower

slatchMarch 26, 2009

Hi- I have no experience with machine repair and need to change the primer bulb on my craftsman mower. I already have the replacement part but no clue how to change it. When I pulled on the bulb, gas leaked out. Can anyone provide me with an easy to understand walkthrough? I would really appreciate it! My lawn looks like a jungle!! Thanks..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larryf

information on the engine brand / model / type, code or spec is needed.

If this is the large displacement Briggs Quantum series, chances are your fuel leaking problem is not caused by the primer bulb. The primer bulb is simply an air pump. There is a vent located on the end of the bulb. When depressing the bulb air pressure is forced into the carburetor float bowl. This forces fuel in the float bowl to travel up the venturi tube and enter the air stream into the engine. Carburetor flooding may result in fuel entering the primer bulb.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 4:55PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Usually a screwdriver is used to pry out the metal ring holding in the rubber primer bulb and a 3/4" socket and hammer is used to install the new ring. Use care when removing the ring.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 11:15AM
speckspeck(jersey)

BTW, IF YOU HAVE THE BALL SHAPED BULB PRIMER (RED USUALLY ON MY CHEAP MOWER)AND IT HAS A SPLIT IN IT THERE IS AN EASY FIX IF YOU CAN'T FIND A REPLACEMENT AND IT INVOLVES THE SILICONE RUBBER IN A TUBE THAT YOU USE TO FIX A LEAKY WINDSHIELD(AUTO STORE WILL KNOW), ALTHOUGH THE THICK TOOTHPASTE-LIKE SILICONE RUBBER WILL WORK. JUST PAINT SOME OF THAT ON THE ENTIRE SURFACE OF THE BALL AND RECOAT IT WITH RUBBER, USING A MATCHSTICK OR EVEN AN OLD BRUSH. THIS WILL SEAL ANY HOLE OR SPLIT IN IT AND YOU CAN CONTINUE TO MOW RATHER THAN MAKE A TRIP OR WAIT FOR THE MAILORDER PART.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 1:06AM
orangedotfever

Hey speckspeck, why are you yelling?

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
21" self-propelled, which has most reliable drive system?
Hi there, I'm looking to replace my Ariens Classic...
kwk1
PTO Problem on my Lawn Mower
I was just outside mowing and I hit an obstruction...
amburton98
Husqvarna 150bt blower running lean - harder to start
Blower is taking 3 - 5 pulls to start when it used...
edge
Lawn-boy F Series - Connecting Rod play ?
I have my Lawn-boy apart to replace upper and lower...
bhap
Sponsored Products
Ultra Thin LED Light Box 48"x96" , Silver Frame, Daylight White
EnvironmentalLights.com
Cirque LED Wall/Ceiling
Lightology
Dale Tiffany 4-Light Sunset Mission Fixture - 25-watt in. Mica Bronze - 6060/4LT
$549.99 | Hayneedle
Cristafanoâ„¢ Ceiling Fan
$530.00 | FRONTGATE
Steeplechase Olde Bronze Two-Light Lantern Pendant
$217.80 | Bellacor
Floral Brass Push Plate
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™