Rain Chain out of "junque"

scarlett2001August 10, 2014

I saw this today and wish I had taken a photo of it:
A rain chain ( to divert water from your roof gutter away from the foundation) made of all kinds of found objects.

The top began with a gutter strap inserted into the roof gutter, then an old funnel was wired to that, then alternating objects to pass the rain water on down: metal circles from an old belt, springs, a tea ball, spoons, etc. Each object was separated by a wire twist with a large colorful bead on it.
I can't wait to make one of these! Now if only we would get some rain here in CA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arcy_gw

These rain chains are very fun LOOKING. I would be interested to hear if they really replace the down spouts most home have attached to their gutters. Do they keep basements safe from filling up?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:31AM
scarlett2001

Good question! I'm sure you would still have to divert the water away from the house or into a rain barrel.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:30PM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

rain chains just break up the flow of water so it doesn't wash away the soil under the downspout; you can put a diverter at the bottom to carry the water away.

We get so much rain here that my cement driveway is pocked where the rain came off the un-guttered roof. We've added gutters and pipes that make a waterfall into a fishpond.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 2:42PM
scarlett2001

You're making me very, very Jealous! We are in an historic drought and have water restrictions, with a $500 fine for every time you break the rules.

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 3:02AM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

Scarlett,
I lived in California for...um...decades. I feel your pain, and am very happy I moved to a rain zone--170" of rain a year. People talk about a "dry spell" when it goes three days without rain during the day. Night rain doesn't count, I guess.

And we're on rainwater catchment--our only water supply is what falls on our roof and is caught in a big tank out back--so no water bills, and I CAN FLUSH ANY TIME I WANT!

Aw, was that mean of me to tell you that?

This post was edited by steiconi on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 0:18

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 12:07AM
arcy_gw

No water bills here either--private well. Yesterday we got much needed rain. I watched my gutters over flow and the down spouts gush. I just cannot see how a rain chain would be of any help, heck the gutters were of minimal help!! They are nice to look at but I think this is one sort of garden decoration that will not adorn my home. Scarlette, I have heard of States where they feel the government OWNS the rain. CRAZY!! I would hate to give up my rain barrel but I could not stand to live where someone tells me where the rain can or cannot flow!!

Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™