rain barrel

garyfla_gw(10 Florida)August 9, 2012

Hi

Have an eighty gallon one with a crack near the bottom naturally lol.Any suggestions on a use . Way to deep for composter and odd shape means bags won't fit.

WAY to expensive to throw away lol Thanks gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
posieh(3)

What kind of material is it made of? Maybe a Google or How To search would give you an answer, Good Luck!

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 5:15PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Gary, bet you can seal the crack with a good quality siliconized caulk. Would have to keep it dry for a day or so after caulking.

HTH, Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 6:12PM
sunnyca_gw

Better to fix for rain barrel, they just had on news couple of days ago about houses damaged by large fire, because someone had a plastic composter & didn't follow directions & it got too hot inside & combusted. I think 3-4 homes were damaged. Imagine that will be a big lawsuit! So if anyone uses them be sure to folllow directions & also keep it far from house & buildings. Jan

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 12:44AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX(8b)

If the crack is not too bad try using that thick black sealant for roofs, they also advertise a spray on type on tv, the ad with the screen door in the bottom of the boat not sure of the name.

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 2:35AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Rosiew
Have found silicone will not adhere to polyethylene,proably due to expansion..??
In any event will release after a month or so.
raven tried that but found the crack expanded after two days lol. I did find that it made a rather good base for the silicone at least for a while?? there is a welding system for poly which might work BUT don't think it would be worth buying the equipment??
Sunnyca WAAAY to deep for a composter and due to it's odd shape there are no bags to fit it. besides would not drain properly not to mention that compost needs to be turned.
I bought a replacement and was lucky to find one with similar dim. Only minor modification was necessary for the plumbing. certainly cost a bit more than I remember!!. The old one is sitting in a corner of the yard awaiting inspiration There MUST be something lol Thanks gary

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 4:21AM
rosiew(8 GA)

Gary, maybe use a reciprocating saw to cut that in half, drill some drainage holes and you've got a humongo planter. Use a file on the rough cut edges.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 9:23PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
had thought of that but due to the recess to allow a bucket to be put under the tap ,would end up with a "planter ' 38 inches wide with about half being less than 6 inches deep lolSeems like way to much work for a badly designed planter ?? thanks gary

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 3:46AM
More Discussions
Craft fairs and Garden Junk
I know this really isn't the time of year to find Garden...
toomuchglass
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™