Patching bare spots with Bermuda sod

gregnga(7)May 29, 2012

I have several bare spots in my Bermuda yard that I want to patch with Bermuda sod. If I lay the sod on top of the bare spot then it won't be level with the surrounding turf. Is there a way to patch bare spots with sod and have it be level.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grasshole

Yes, sir. Remove soil underneath so it is level.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 11:19AM
grasshole

And I mean from the ground. Dig enough of a hole in the ground that the sod fits level with the ground.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 11:21AM
nearandwest(7)

It would be helpful for you to know what is the thickness of the bermuda sod that you want to install. If you know where you are going to purchase the sod from, call them and ask them what is the depth that their sod is cut. It is probably going to be somewhere in the range of one-half inch to one inch. Dig out your area to the same depth as the sod is cut. Use a ruler or tape measure to measure the depth of the area that you dig out. Then the sod you install should fit nicely. If anything, it would be better to have the sod a little lower than the existing area rather than a little higher than the existing area. This will prevent scalping of the new sod. Of course, perfectly level is best. :)

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
New Ant Hill on top of Grass Seedlings
I put down a layer of topsoil in my front lawn before...
mikec
Velocity herbicide
I have had Poa Annua n triv for many years. It almost...
hoganjr
Which order to do these tasks?
This spring I need to do the following to my lawn : Aerate,...
tonyjambo
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
When can I turn on my sprinklers?
We are new to the whole in ground system thing, they...
dainaadele
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™