Riding mower won't start...

barrymorrisseyMarch 24, 2010

I didn't drain the gas from my tank at the end of the season last year. I have drained the tank now. I replaced the spark plugs. The carburetor was rebuilt towards the end of the season last year. Fuel filter is fine. Battery is fine. I am not good with terminology...but when I turn the key it will constantly try to turn over for as long as I hold the key, but it never starts. I figured it wasn't firing so I changed the spark plugs. Is there anything I need about the plugs? Do I have to spray anything in there before I put a new plug in? The oil is a little low and probably needs to be changed, but I didn't think that would prevent it from starting.

Any thoughts? I can post the model number if you really need it, but I figured this was kind of a problem that relates to all mowers. It is a Craftsman with a 25hp Briggs & Stratton engine though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

Remove the air filter and pour a bit of gas in the carb throat then try it. If it fires and quits you have a fuel delivery problem.. Are you using a fuel stabilizer?

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 10:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hardin(7 SE OK)

I'm no mechanic, but have you cleaned out the carb to make sure there isn't any gooey gunk left in there that can stop the flow of gas? To help prevent this, I add stabilizer to the last can of gas I buy at the end of the season. My mowers always start up in the spring. Beats cleaning out the carbs.

Good Luck,
Vickie

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™