Yet another 1/3rd rule bermuda question

bayloraugustinerMay 25, 2012

A few weeks ago I posted about the cutting height of my newly sodded celebration bermuda, and the responses (esp. txweed, as usual) were very helpful. I remain confused about one thing, however. One of the problems with the height was not just blade height, but stem height. I seem to have about a quarter inch of dead thatch and about a 1-1.5" stem with the blades (or vast majority of them) on top of that. So, I understand the 1/3 rule with respect to the blade, but once you work your blades down low (which I did), is there a way to safely shorten the stem? It would seem that if you start cutting stem you will have no blades at all. Is spring/emergence out of dormancy the only time to do this?

Thanks again for helping this rookie out,

Thomas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neilaz(9a)

I usually cut mine 1 notch lower than where i want my grass height. Kind of a small scalping in late July early Aug.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 2:23PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If you are at the bottom notch on your mower, then you could rent a mower that will mow lower and take off a little more stem. Or mow as low as yours will go once and raise it one notch to leave a little blade when you mow.

If you can mow low enough, that stem will grow out along the ground instead of up. That's when bermuda really look great.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 2:51PM
bayloraugustiner

The mower height isn't an issue. I've got quite a few more notches I can go down. The question is how to reduce the height of the stem, which is about an inch long with a single blade growing off of the side and three blades coming up out of the top. Even if I were to follow the 1/3 rule, I would eventually get to the point where I were cutting all of the top blades leaving only stem and the lower single blade.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 4:10PM
david_tx(7a North Texas)

If you cut down to the stems, you'll have brown stubble which will grow new grass blades at the lower height. It will be unsightly for a while which is why most of us do this in early spring. I was a little late this year as I did it in late April. The lawn has already recovered.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 4:39PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Mower height isn't an issue? No, but it is the solution. Unless you want to chew it down by mouth. To reduce the height of grass in a controlled fashion, the lawn mower is the best tool around.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™